Windows build (kanjitalk755 code) doesn't default to "ROM"?

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

emendelson
Forum All-Star

Windows build (kanjitalk755 code) doesn't default to "ROM"?

Post by emendelson »

A lot of sites report that BasiliskII, by default, uses a file called ROM as its rom file, if no filename is specified in the prefs file. This doesn't seem to work in the build I made from the current code (see another thread about this). Am I missing something obvious?
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Re: Windows build (kanjitalk755 code) doesn't default to "RO

Post by emendelson »

To fix this in the Windows version, add these two lines to main_windows.cpp, after line 365:

Code: Select all

if (PrefsFindString("rom", 0) == NULL)
		rom_path = tstr("ROM");
Similarly, if no "disk" line is present in the prefs file, you can make the Windows version default to opening a disk image named BasiliskII.dsk by adding this line to sys_windows.cpp, after line 219 (between the two curly brackets):

Code: Select all

PrefsAddString("disk", "BasiliskII.dsk");
Last edited by emendelson on Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

The only problem I've come across in kanjitalk755's excellent code is that the extfs icon on the Basilisk desktop doesn't take the name of the Windows computer but instead is named "C" or some other drive letter on the host machine. Older builds display the name of the host machine.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

In Windows, the external file system was always called "My Computer", not "Unix". In my case I get a "T". Without there being a disk with that letter.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Cat_7 wrote:In Windows, the external file system was always called "My Computer", not "Unix". In my case I get a "T". Without there being a disk with that letter.
It's a little more complicated than that. The file system is named "My Computer" if you did NOT rename the optional "My Computer" icon on your Windows desktop. In user_string_windows.cpp there's a routine that looks in various places in the Windows Registry for that name, and uses it (or is supposed to use it) on the BasiliskII or SheepShaver desktop.

So if your "computer" icon on your Windows desktop is named "Christiaan Huygens" or "Lady Gaga", that is (or should be) the name of the external file system in BII or SS.

I figured this out when I was putting together my Mac OS 9 for Windows system. I couldn't figure out how to write an AppleScript in OS 9 that would recognize the name of the external file system. So the AutoIt launcher that I wrote for the system gets the name from the Registry and puts it in the Windows clipboard; when SheepShaver launches, a startup script retrieves the name from the clipboard and uses it to build an alias used by the file-transfer system that I create in OS 9.

It took me a while to sort this out. Someone who knows what they're doing could have done it in two minutes.