Login  •  Register

The time is now: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:08 pm

Emaculation wiki  •  Delete all board cookies

Post new topic  Reply to topic Page 2 of 2 [ 43 posts ]    Go to page Previous  1, 2
Print view Previous topic  |  Next topic
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:20 pm 
Forum All-Star

Probably worth mentioning that last week I was playing around with the Homebrew version of HFSUtils and somehow borked disk image filesystem handling in Catalina -- including Time Machine and my virtual Mac OS collection. It no longer recognized HFS+ images. Had to restore from backup from recovery mode (because Time Machine couldn't mount the backups to restore in regular mode).

These tools are MUCH safer than messing with filesystem bundles right now ;)

Reply with quote Post a reply  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:40 pm 
Mac Mechanic

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:
I found an app 'HFSUtilsGUI' on my Mac that I forgot about and that works fine in Catalina for creating HFS (and HFS+) disk images. After a search in the forum I found where it was presented here by our member sentient06
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8337&p=51502&hilit=hfsutilsgui#p51502
The download link does not work anymore. I will add the utility to our wiki downloads.

Edit: Download link also here: https://www.emaculation.com/basilisk/HFSUtilsGUI.zip

Hey guys,

I'm glad it works on Catalina, I didn't touch this for a while. The project can be found on GitHub (https://github.com/sentient06/HFSUtilsGUI) but I don't think I ever put compiled releases there as it didn't seem to have an audience. Also, I never quite finished the app, there's a lot of repeated code and possibly some minor memory leaks. All I did was wrap the unix binaries and copy/paste the interface from Mac OS X's Disk Utility, execute the binaries as if from a command line, add some observers and update the UI.

If you think it could be helpful, I can try and compile it on my old Mac and add it to a DMG file to live in the repository. Anyone is welcome to fork it, of course, or integrate into another project, though I suspect not many people are using Objective-C these days.

I had this crazy idea of making an interface to transfer files between the host machine and an HFS image file (like the old Windows app HFVExplorer), but the whole logic behind the interface seemed so overwhelming that this bit never took off.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:26 pm 
Forum All-Star

Right... that's why my copy works on Catalina -- I compiled it on Catalina.

It'd be really nice to have something where we can copy files out of an HFS volume onto the host; hopefully someone can fork it and pick that up :)

Meanwhile, a DMG is probably a good idea; it should be by someone who can notarize it though

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:42 pm 
Expert User

The copy I have, version 1.0.0b and working in Catalina, was build in 2013. I now also found it, same build, as it was probably offered at the time by sentient06 on a DMG, nicely done with the Application folder alias.

It is certainly useful for creating disk image files for use with the Mac emulators.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 12:33 am 
Space Cadet

Hi,

i have a problem with the Basilisk II GUI
I can not choose a file when i want to add a file to the Volumes List.
They all greyed out.

What can i do ?

Thanks a lot for help.

Chris

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 7:19 am 
Expert User

Only disk image files should be added to the volumes list. This GUI will allow adding files that have a known disk image file extension. Extensions .dmg .img .dsk .iso .cdr .toast will work, maybe more.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 10:44 am 
Space Cadet

Thanks for your message.

I solved the problem.

Thanks a lot.

Chris

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 4:33 am 
Tinkerer

What other disk formats should I add to the GUI?

May as well update that if I add the new icon.

Cheers

Edit: currently accepts the following:

["img", "dmg", "dsk", "image", "cdr", "iso", "toast", "sparsebundle", "sparse"]

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 6:05 am 
Forum All-Star

dc42, hfv, hvf, hfs, ndif

Most of those extensions are rarely used... but why not?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:28 am 
Tinkerer

adespoton wrote:
dc42, hfv, hvf, hfs, ndif

Most of those extensions are rarely used... but why not?

Thanks, I've added those and a bunch of "new" features, just waiting for Ronald to test it to his satisfaction and release it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:48 pm 
Forum All-Star

You may want to include .dk0 through .dk9 as well, as these are used by Mini vMac for autoloading images.

Oh, and did someone end up adding the bin/cue code to BII? If so, you'll want to include .cue as an accepted format too.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:01 am 
Expert User

All those exotic image formats, are they HFS (or HFS+ for Mac OS 8.1) formatted disk images that will be mounted in BasiliskII when added to the volumes list (added as "disk" in the prefs file)? If not, then they should not be added to the collection that the BasiliskII GUI will recognise.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:33 pm 
Forum All-Star

As far as the ones I've suggested, they're all container formats that can contain HFS partitions. In the case of cue of course, it's usually used for mixed mode CDs that may have HFS, ISO-9660 and/or red book audio partitions. The other formats are almost universally limited to HFS and HFS+ partitions, although they can technically handle ProDOS and FAT as well.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:20 pm 
Expert User

Posted a new Basilisk II GUI version 0.15 beta. See first post in this topic: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10454

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:13 am 
Tinkerer

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:
Posted a new Basilisk II GUI version 0.15 beta. See first post in this topic: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10454

Thanks Ronald,

It might be an idea to keep a copy of version 0.14f which seemed stable around just in case.

Some release notes:

A: Added Start button functionality... at Ronald's request it default's to assuming you have the GUI in the same folder as the BasiliskII.app. However two notes about this:

1. Ronald said that worked fine for him in Catalina, but in Mojave I noticed this for the path to BasiliskII.app:

Code:
 /private/var/folder/kp/blablablabla/AppTranslocation/<SERIAL NUMBER>/d/BasiliskII.app

2. If you use the "other folder" option and just type "BasiliskII.app" with no path, it will launch it if it's installed, at least on 10.13.

B: Added some experimental GUI preferences, accessible by pressing the gear button.

C: Added the ability to create a basic blank unformatted image to the GUI using the "Create..." button. As Ronald has mentioned in his post it's NOT feature packed. There will be a new one in a future release.

D: If you're new to using this app, I encourage you to press the "Beta" button before using the app.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:25 am 
Expert User

munkymajic wrote:
Code:
 /private/var/folder/kp/blablablabla/AppTranslocation/<SERIAL NUMBER>/d/BasiliskII.app
Ah, yes. That can happen (since Sierra) when you try to launch an application (in this case BasiliskII) from the .dmg on which it is distributed or from the location or folder in which it is extracted from a downloaded (.zip) archive. The user needs to actively move or copy the application to the desired location before launching it for the first time. You may have tried to launch a copy of BasiliskII that way. It would then have quit on launch and be quarantined, resulting in the path above.

The solution is usually to make a copy of the application in a different location, e.g. the Desktop, delete the original, and move the copy back to where the original was, in this case the folder where both BasiliskII and the Basilisk II GUI reside.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:46 am 
Tinkerer

Yeah that's what I did on my Mojave test, I just unzipped it and ran it without moving it.

Good to know if you move it, it works. Thanks Ronald.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:45 am 
Expert User

It is a security feature in Sierra and later macOS to make sure a downloaded application will not run unless it is intentionally installed by the user.

Post new topic  Reply to topic Page 2 of 2 [ 43 posts ]    Go to page Previous  1, 2