Login  •  Register

The time is now: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:56 am

Emaculation wiki  •  Delete all board cookies

Post new topic  Reply to topic Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]    Go to page Previous  1, 2
Print view Previous topic  |  Next topic
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:13 pm 
Expert User

Yes, Basilisk on Catalina (in virtual box).

Virtual box has a bridged network connection to my OSX Sierra host.
This host has a bridged en0 with a tap device activated through Basilisk using tuntaposx.
There is a problem here, however. When I have the bridge active on Sierra, Catalina in virtual box will not get an ip address through DHCP. So I can only create the bridge in Sierra after I have started Catalina. I guess the issue here prevents Appletalk/ping

I can access the internet from Basilisk with tap networking on Catalina. I can ping this installation in Catalina from my Sierra host.

I have network access with Basilisk in Catalina using a tunnelblick-created tap device. DHCP works with Basilisk.
I have network access with Basilisk on my Sierra host. Also with DHCP.
I can see advertising of File sharing and laserwriter on both tap device (one in Catalina, one in Sierra)
I can ping from Sierra to Basilisk in Catalina. But I cannot ping Basilisk running in Sierra from Catalina.

Reply with quote Post a reply  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:04 pm 
Tinkerer

Hey Cat_7,

Thank you for confirming your Catalina installation!

Don‘t know if the Virtual Box install makes it different, but I am (nearly) stranded with my genuine install of Catalina on a MBP and I feel, there are some obvious forces against KEXT installs.

I‘ll be on the road for a fortnight w/o access to an AppleShare. Sure, I could create something virtual in the hotel, but not too much headroom left here.

To be honest, best thing would be down-grading to High Sierra, as I don‘t see the real benefit (4 me) with my dear Catalina.
Still funny how we stick to those old bits. But by that time, we were dreaming about GB drives fully loaded with Mac SW, nearly endless space wrt. storage capacity... Download speeds like a datacenter in the 90‘th, .... Processing power of 12 cores Xeon (does Basilisk support multi core yet? <LoL>.

I am soo glad, to have a fully functional and stable Mac System 7 up & running with Slirp access, by now.
For the remaining AppleTalk support, we should wait what brings the next decade.
But wait, I came so close last weekend! - I think we have to make the final mile!

In that sense & Best,
Knuddlmac!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:37 pm 
Apple Corer

mabam wrote:
At ZeroTier they were struggling with the same issue and seem to have found a solution. But I don’t quite understand the explanation they gave here (and whether it can be applied to our use case):
https://www.zerotier.com/how-zerotier-e ... -on-macos/

I’ve read a bit more on this. ZeroTier wrote a tap agent for macOS not requiring any kernel extensions. The code can be found at https://github.com/zerotier/ZeroTierOne ... TapAgent.c and is written in C++, just as Basilisk II and SheepShaver are.

Is it possible to somehow merge this tap agent into the macemu repository so it can be used with BII and SS?
Is one of the coders here willing to look into this?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:42 pm 
Tinkerer

mabam wrote:
mabam wrote:
At ZeroTier they were struggling with the same issue and seem to have found a solution. But I don’t quite understand the explanation they gave here (and whether it can be applied to our use case):
https://www.zerotier.com/how-zerotier-e ... -on-macos/

I’ve read a bit more on this. ZeroTier wrote a tap agent for macOS not requiring any kernel extensions. The code can be found at https://github.com/zerotier/ZeroTierOne ... TapAgent.c and is written in C++, just as Basilisk II and SheepShaver are.

Is it possible to somehow merge this tap agent into the macemu repository so it can be used with BII and SS?
Is one of the coders here willing to look into this?

Jum, jum! - This sounds like promising entertainment for long winter nights.

I was successful compiling kanjtalk‘s release Sunday night and I am ambitious to continue the ride.
Don‘t know if I could merge from the start. I‘d go with a standalone test first. Zerotier also mentioned the new DriverKit from Apple, but yet I couldn‘t find too much supportive info besides the interface description on Apple Developer.

If there are helpful hands out there in the dark Windows land or bright MacCountry, let‘s line up.
Kanjtalk‘s version fully supporting ‚slirp‘ is already breath-taking and praise to Ronald D. for the SDL2 layer implementation plus endless other contributors around the globe! But if you have ever been exposed to a real Macintosh drive through AppleTalk, there is still some salt missing.
I am running an A2SERVER plus a RasPi Cups Server offering an old HP LaserJet Color to shine again.

Let‘s see how far we can get...

Thanks for the inspiration mabam!

(I‘ll holler, if I need first early beta testers) J

Knuddlmac!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:39 pm 
Apple Corer

KnuddlMac wrote:
Jum, jum! - This sounds like promising entertainment for long winter nights.
[…]
Don‘t know if I could merge from the start. I‘d go with a standalone test first. Zerotier also mentioned the new DriverKit from Apple, but yet I couldn‘t find too much supportive info besides the interface description on Apple Developer.
Wow, that sounds exciting! (I’d dive into it myself if I knew how to code. But that’s above me, I’m afraid.)

KnuddlMac wrote:
I am running an A2SERVER plus a RasPi Cups Server offering an old HP LaserJet Color to shine again.
I’m running a Banana Pi based A2Server NAS serving as file and print server sharing my old LaserWriter 4/600 PS to the network via CUPS: https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/ap ... os_and_osx (I can even print on it from my iPhone).

KnuddlMac wrote:
I‘ll holler, if I need first early beta testers.
I’ll be happy to test! Fortunately, my High Sierra system is recent enough to support feth interfaces.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:42 pm 
Tinkerer

mabam wrote:
I’m running a Banana Pi based A2Server NAS serving as file and print server sharing my old LaserWriter 4/600 PS to the network via CUPS: https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/ap ... os_and_osx (I can even print on it from my iPhone).

So you‘re infected, as infected as I am! - yes, it is awesome, what we can do nowerdays with these tiny ARM devices for 30+US$s!
And exactly this external AppleTalk drive & print feeling we should try to establish.

mabam wrote:
I’ll be happy to test! Fortunately, my High Sierra system is recent enough to support feth interfaces.

I am happy dropping you the first bits I can drill-off. I had a look at zeroconf‘s git and had the feeling that substancial parts of MacOS were referenced, but missing. But that was during breakfast and don‘t call me on any mail written before the 1st coffee <LoL>.

I was trying to get fake ether ports running last weekend, but didn‘t get through. For Zeroconf the speed wasn‘t promising (...for today’s MacOS, Win and Linux standards), but I think we‘d be happy with ‚some‘ connectivity and couldn‘t stop grinning landing in the one or two MB area.
MS Office Macintosh (currently growing well in the macintoshgarden) in 1997 were about 36 disks, so all in the green with 1 MBit/s.

I think we can close this thread and open a new one about feth drive, for recent MacOS running BAII and maybe also for the SheepShaver division next door.

Cordialmente,
Knuddelmac!

Post new topic  Reply to topic Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]    Go to page Previous  1, 2