New System 7 setup on OSx Catalina

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Cat_7
Expert User

Re: New System 7 setup on OSx Catalina

Post by Cat_7 »

Yes, Basilisk on Catalina (in virtual box).

Virtual box has a bridged network connection to my OSX Sierra host.
This host has a bridged en0 with a tap device activated through Basilisk using tuntaposx.
There is a problem here, however. When I have the bridge active on Sierra, Catalina in virtual box will not get an ip address through DHCP. So I can only create the bridge in Sierra after I have started Catalina. I guess the issue here prevents Appletalk/ping

I can access the internet from Basilisk with tap networking on Catalina. I can ping this installation in Catalina from my Sierra host.

I have network access with Basilisk in Catalina using a tunnelblick-created tap device. DHCP works with Basilisk.
I have network access with Basilisk on my Sierra host. Also with DHCP.
I can see advertising of File sharing and laserwriter on both tap device (one in Catalina, one in Sierra)
I can ping from Sierra to Basilisk in Catalina. But I cannot ping Basilisk running in Sierra from Catalina.

KnuddlMac
Granny Smith

Post by KnuddlMac »

Hey Cat_7,

Thank you for confirming your Catalina installation!

Don‘t know if the Virtual Box install makes it different, but I am (nearly) stranded with my genuine install of Catalina on a MBP and I feel, there are some obvious forces against KEXT installs.

I‘ll be on the road for a fortnight w/o access to an AppleShare. Sure, I could create something virtual in the hotel, but not too much headroom left here.

To be honest, best thing would be down-grading to High Sierra, as I don‘t see the real benefit (4 me) with my dear Catalina.
Still funny how we stick to those old bits. But by that time, we were dreaming about GB drives fully loaded with Mac SW, nearly endless space wrt. storage capacity... Download speeds like a datacenter in the 90‘th, .... Processing power of 12 cores Xeon (does Basilisk support multi core yet? <LoL>.

I am soo glad, to have a fully functional and stable Mac System 7 up & running with Slirp access, by now.
For the remaining AppleTalk support, we should wait what brings the next decade.
But wait, I came so close last weekend! - I think we have to make the final mile!

In that sense & Best,
Knuddlmac!
mabam
Master Emulator

Post by mabam »

mabam wrote:At ZeroTier they were struggling with the same issue and seem to have found a solution. But I don’t quite understand the explanation they gave here (and whether it can be applied to our use case):
https://www.zerotier.com/how-zerotier-e ... -on-macos/
I’ve read a bit more on this. ZeroTier wrote a tap agent for macOS not requiring any kernel extensions. The code can be found at https://github.com/zerotier/ZeroTierOne ... TapAgent.c and is written in C++, just as Basilisk II and SheepShaver are.

Is it possible to somehow merge this tap agent into the macemu repository so it can be used with BII and SS?
Is one of the coders here willing to look into this?
KnuddlMac
Granny Smith

Post by KnuddlMac »

mabam wrote:
mabam wrote:At ZeroTier they were struggling with the same issue and seem to have found a solution. But I don’t quite understand the explanation they gave here (and whether it can be applied to our use case):
https://www.zerotier.com/how-zerotier-e ... -on-macos/
I’ve read a bit more on this. ZeroTier wrote a tap agent for macOS not requiring any kernel extensions. The code can be found at https://github.com/zerotier/ZeroTierOne ... TapAgent.c and is written in C++, just as Basilisk II and SheepShaver are.

Is it possible to somehow merge this tap agent into the macemu repository so it can be used with BII and SS?
Is one of the coders here willing to look into this?
Jum, jum! - This sounds like promising entertainment for long winter nights.

I was successful compiling kanjtalk‘s release Sunday night and I am ambitious to continue the ride.
Don‘t know if I could merge from the start. I‘d go with a standalone test first. Zerotier also mentioned the new DriverKit from Apple, but yet I couldn‘t find too much supportive info besides the interface description on Apple Developer.

If there are helpful hands out there in the dark Windows land or bright MacCountry, let‘s line up.
Kanjtalk‘s version fully supporting ‚slirp‘ is already breath-taking and praise to Ronald D. for the SDL2 layer implementation plus endless other contributors around the globe! But if you have ever been exposed to a real Macintosh drive through AppleTalk, there is still some salt missing.
I am running an A2SERVER plus a RasPi Cups Server offering an old HP LaserJet Color to shine again.

Let‘s see how far we can get...

Thanks for the inspiration mabam!

(I‘ll holler, if I need first early beta testers) J

Knuddlmac!
mabam
Master Emulator

Post by mabam »

KnuddlMac wrote:Jum, jum! - This sounds like promising entertainment for long winter nights.
[…]
Don‘t know if I could merge from the start. I‘d go with a standalone test first. Zerotier also mentioned the new DriverKit from Apple, but yet I couldn‘t find too much supportive info besides the interface description on Apple Developer.
Wow, that sounds exciting! (I’d dive into it myself if I knew how to code. But that’s above me, I’m afraid.)
KnuddlMac wrote:I am running an A2SERVER plus a RasPi Cups Server offering an old HP LaserJet Color to shine again.
I’m running a Banana Pi based A2Server NAS serving as file and print server sharing my old LaserWriter 4/600 PS to the network via CUPS: https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/ap ... os_and_osx (I can even print on it from my iPhone).
KnuddlMac wrote:I‘ll holler, if I need first early beta testers.
I’ll be happy to test! Fortunately, my High Sierra system is recent enough to support feth interfaces.
KnuddlMac
Granny Smith

Post by KnuddlMac »

mabam wrote:I’m running a Banana Pi based A2Server NAS serving as file and print server sharing my old LaserWriter 4/600 PS to the network via CUPS: https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/ap ... os_and_osx (I can even print on it from my iPhone).
So you‘re infected, as infected as I am! - yes, it is awesome, what we can do nowerdays with these tiny ARM devices for 30+US$s!
And exactly this external AppleTalk drive & print feeling we should try to establish.
mabam wrote:I’ll be happy to test! Fortunately, my High Sierra system is recent enough to support feth interfaces.
I am happy dropping you the first bits I can drill-off. I had a look at zeroconf‘s git and had the feeling that substancial parts of MacOS were referenced, but missing. But that was during breakfast and don‘t call me on any mail written before the 1st coffee <LoL>.

I was trying to get fake ether ports running last weekend, but didn‘t get through. For Zeroconf the speed wasn‘t promising (...for today’s MacOS, Win and Linux standards), but I think we‘d be happy with ‚some‘ connectivity and couldn‘t stop grinning landing in the one or two MB area.
MS Office Macintosh (currently growing well in the macintoshgarden) in 1997 were about 36 disks, so all in the green with 1 MBit/s.

I think we can close this thread and open a new one about feth drive, for recent MacOS running BAII and maybe also for the SheepShaver division next door.

Cordialmente,
Knuddelmac!
KnuddlMac
Granny Smith

Post by KnuddlMac »

adespoton wrote: Last time I tested tuntaposx under Catalina via homebrew, it failed to work. But that was the week Catalina came out, so it might be better now.
Hi,

Could you make successful use of tuntaposx via home-brew yet? I can compile tuntaposx via makefile by now, but the MacOS SDK 10.15 doesn't provide matching headers anymore.

Code: Select all

petes-mbp:tuntap pitforster$ make
cd src/tap && make TUNTAP_VERSION=20150118 -f Makefile all
clang -x c++ -Wall -Werror -mkernel -force_cpusubtype_ALL -nostdinc -fno-builtin -fno-stack-protector -msoft-float -fno-common -arch x86_64 -DKERNEL -DAPPLE -DKERNEL_PRIVATE -DTUNTAP_VERSION=\"20150118\" -DTAP_KEXT_VERSION=\"20150118\" -I.. -I/System/Volumes/Data/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/Kernel.framework/Versions/A/Headers -c ../tuntap.cc -o ../tuntap.o
In file included from ../tuntap.cc:30:
../tuntap.h:175:25: error: too few arguments provided to function-like macro
      invocation
                bool enqueue(mbuf_t mb);
                                      ^
/System/Volumes/Data/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/Kernel.framework/Versions/A/Headers/kern/queue.h:214:9: note: 
      macro 'enqueue' defined here
#define enqueue(queue, elt)      enqueue_tail(queue, elt)
        ^
../tuntap.cc:213:37: error: too few arguments provided to function-like macro
      invocation
tuntap_mbuf_queue::enqueue(mbuf_t mb)
                                    ^
/System/Volumes/Data/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/Kernel.framework/Versions/A/Headers/kern/queue.h:214:9: note: 
        ^
../tuntap.cc:213:20: error: non-static data member defined out-of-line
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^
../tuntap.cc:213:27: error: expected ';' after top level declarator
                          ^
                          ;
../tuntap.cc:803:30: error: too few arguments provided to function-like macro
      invocation
                if (!send_queue.enqueue(pkt)) {
                                           ^
        ^
5 errors generated.
make[1]: *** [../tuntap.o] Error 1
make: *** [tap.kext] Error 2
petes-mbp:tuntap pitforster$ 

I'd guess same situation with homebrew ?
RichCini
Inquisitive Elf

Post by RichCini »

I'm having related issues getting my Basilisk configuration working with Catalina, I stumbled upon this from Apple:

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-hel ... h43557/mac

It looks like you can setup an Ethernet bridge right from the Network control panel. I tried this last night, but didn't have much success getting Basilisk to access it. I'm sure it's because I don't know the right "device" to use in BasiliskIIGUI (assuming "bridge0" or whatever you create), and probably the right IP for MacTCP. Will try to experiment more today.

Here's a snippet from ifconfig after creating the bridge with ID=bridge1:

bridge1: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
options=3<RXCSUM,TXCSUM>
ether 38:c9:86:0e:b7:a0
inet6 fe80::c6d:bbcd:1a71:5263%bridge1 prefixlen 64 secured scopeid 0xe
inet 192.168.1.250 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255
Configuration:
id 0:0:0:0:0:0 priority 0 hellotime 0 fwddelay 0
maxage 0 holdcnt 0 proto stp maxaddr 100 timeout 1200
root id 0:0:0:0:0:0 priority 0 ifcost 0 port 0
ipfilter disabled flags 0x2
member: en0 flags=3<LEARNING,DISCOVER>
ifmaxaddr 0 port 4 priority 0 path cost 0
nd6 options=201<PERFORMNUD,DAD>
media: autoselect

After this, I ran "sudo ifconfig bridge1 addm tap0" which barfed with the error "ifconfig: BRDGADD tap0: No such file or directory". I've seen this error before in other posts but no solutions that I can find.

Thanks.
Rich
mabam
Master Emulator

Post by mabam »

I even have my host machine access the network using a bridge: https://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewt ... 314#p56752 . That way I can establish a connection between my host and an emulator connected to that same bridge. But something like tuntap is needed as interface for the emulator in order to then connect it to the bridge. Right now, for Catalina there seems to be nothing working OOTB in order to provide this interface to Basilisk II or SheepShaver. The main problem seems to be that Apple tries to get rid of third party kernel extensions as much as possible.

However, as mentioned above earlier, ZeroTier has found an alternative way to do this, not requiring a kernel extension: https://emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic ... 437#p65064 . I believe one of the few ways to use their method without having to compile a binary is to use python (as I think this will give access to the API). With that piece of python script implemented, others should be able to use it within a bash script to start their emulators with networking.

The above way is just a guess, but there definitely is a way to do this based on ZeroTier’s findings and code. It would require a person with programming skills (which I’m not, unfortunately) who is willing to invest the necessary time and effort though.
RichCini
Inquisitive Elf

Post by RichCini »

Oh, yeah, I saw that post too. Kind of frustrating that there's no clean solution to this. I wonder if installing another emulator, like VirtualBox would help.
KnuddlMac
Granny Smith

Post by KnuddlMac »

RichCini wrote: After this, I ran "sudo ifconfig bridge1 addm tap0" which barfed with the error "ifconfig: BRDGADD tap0: No such file or directory". I've seen this error before in other posts but no solutions that I can find.
Well, I'd suggest to create the bridge 1st:

user-mbp:~ dilbert$ sudo ifconfig bridge1 create
user-mbp:~ dilber$ sudo ifconfig bridge0 addm en0
user-mbp:~ dilber$ sudo ifconfig bridge0 up
user-mbp:~ dilber$ sudo ifconfig bridge0 addm tap0
ifconfig: BRDGADD tap0: No such file or directory

But tap0 I couldn't add, as I don't have a kernel extension loaded providing such device name.
In addition I learned this weekend, that an "addm" just works, if an application already opened that same port. - That is also the reason why BII and SS will be usually called 1st by the script to open that port and wait a while (appx. 5 seconds).

Thank you for the Apple Support link! Didn't study all down to the detail, yet. But I am missing the connecting part like a tap0 device.

If you just need Internet support, the version from Kanjatalk does a speedy job, simply using the slirp interface.
In case you need real AppleTalk support, it gets real tricky if you already upgraded to Catalina.
This is also my problem, I upgraded by error this machine and desperately miss my AppleTalk Drive on the network and not to mention contact with my tiny Mac collection.

But I smell, we're coming closer! Mambam's find with Zerotier feels hot and I started to look into merging AppleTalk functionality into Kanjiatalk's fast, clean and stable build from dsunmarok's great SDL2 code.
Mambam suggested to add the bridging code to the final release and that would be great. - But I am still far from that. I wasn't successful getting zerotier's code working.
But compilation of Kanjatalk's code in Xcode finally works. - Now I need to solve the KEXT thing with Catalina (Mojave might be same) and add the already existing code from dsunmaroc.

Well, I'm not a programmer; That will become kinda tough!

But all my old Macintosh devices are on its way to the computer heaven and before it's over, I would like to have a System 7 emulator up and running as real replacement. Kanjatalk's version is already super close, just AppleTalk support is missing. And yes, it makes a difference when you'll look at your AppleTalk server share and print via CUPS on the same printer, you'd use with your beloved OSx Mac.

Now I even start over working with my old Macintosh licenses and create graphical parts of my presentations on the good old System 7.
Wouldn't it be a real great business story, if today's Mac could reuse documents and applications of more than a quarter of a century ago?

I am glad that you also stick to these old bits and like them still! - Let us see where we can get.

Best,
Knuddlmac!
RichCini
Inquisitive Elf

Post by RichCini »

Thanks. What's interesting is that if I replace my Basilisk with the JIT/SDL one from here (https://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewt ... f=6&t=8067), it won't actually run -- it exits before starting like it can't find the ROM (everything is in the same folder). Not sure why, unless it takes a specific ROM. Even if you change it to something earlier (IIci, 68030, 64MB RAM), it still won't start:

racini@Richs-iMac-2 ~ % sudo Documents/Emulators/Basilisk/BasiliskII.app/Contents/MacOS/BasiliskII & sleep 10
sudo ifconfig bridge1 create
sudo ifconfig bridge1 addm en0
Sudo ifconfig bridge1 up
sudo ifconfig bridge1 addm tap0

[2] 1048
[2] killed sudo Documents/Emulators/Basilisk/BasiliskII.app/Contents/MacOS/BasiliskII
ifconfig: SIOCIFCREATE2: File exists
ifconfig: BRDGADD en0: File exists
ifconfig: BRDGADD tap0: No such file or directory
racini@Richs-iMac-2 ~ %

I tried the order of commands you recommended, and got the same outcome (the "file exists" errors are because I tried this more than once). If you create the bridge with the Network control panel, it shows up in ifconfig just if you used the commands, but if you do it by command, it won't show up in the Network control panel.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

RichCini wrote:Thanks. What's interesting is that if I replace my Basilisk with the JIT/SDL one from here (https://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewt ... f=6&t=8067), it won't actually run -- it exits before starting like it can't find the ROM (everything is in the same folder). Not sure why, unless it takes a specific ROM.
This build is 7 years old. Most (or even all?) early 64-bit builds of SheepShaver and BasiliskII stopped working in a later OSX/macOS version. I do not remember exactly when and with which OX/macOS version. We went back to 32-bit builds until working 64-bit builds became available.
RichCini
Inquisitive Elf

Post by RichCini »

Right now I have a version of Basilisk running on Sierra running on Parallels on my Catalina-based iMac (!). I installed taptun but I ran out of time last night for testing the network part. Sometime this week I’ll try it. I just need to figure out how to configure MacTCP or OpenTransport properly (I.e., which IP to use) and then I’ll fire up iCab or Netscape.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

RichCini wrote:and then I’ll fire up iCab or Netscape.
If it is only internet access you are after, "slirp" networking works fine with Open Transport. No other software needed and usually works with automatic configuration (DHCP Server) of IP address etc. in the TCP/IP control panel.
RichCini
Inquisitive Elf

Post by RichCini »

Ok, good to know. IIRC I tried that with not much success but I’ll start over and see. I don’t have an AppleTalk network built-out so that’s not needed.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

1. Make sure you use Open Transport (In 7.5.3 the "Network Software Selector" is installed in the Apple Extras folder.)
2. In the BasiliskII GUI enter "slirp" (without the quotes) for Etherent Port in the "Ports" tab.
3. Set TCP/IP control panel to Ethernet and Using DHCP Server
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
KnuddlMac
Granny Smith

Post by KnuddlMac »

RichCini wrote:Ok, good to know. IIRC I tried that with not much success but I’ll start over and see. I don’t have an AppleTalk network built-out so that’s not needed.
Ronald is absolutely right. - Without need for AppleTalk, the last build from kanjitalk555 provides you with internet access on Mojave or Catalina with 'slirp' as Ethernet setting. Also the data speed is surprising, on my slow net access, it is identical to the MacBook rate (appx. 2MBits/sec).

Ronald just updated the page and I'd recommend, taking the top BasiliskII listed:
https://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewt ... f=6&t=7361

That version should provide you with quick success and sound stability.

Good Luck and enjoy your BII on the Web!
RichCini
Inquisitive Elf

Post by RichCini »

Ok, confirmed the setup (slirp/OpenTransport/TCPIP=DHCP) and it looks like I can access Google using iCab. Yay! I also downloaded Netscape Navigator 3.04, which also works. The bad news is that most web sites are so feature-rich now that they're unusable by old browsers! Gotta search for some vintage web sites now.

To answer KnuddlMac, I am using the 64-bit version from January, and it does work. Mostly my own stupidity unfortunately. At some point I would like to get AppleTalk working because I do have several Macs (512Ke, SE/30, IIci) and a bunch of cables. The IIci has an Ethernet card in it. Ahhh, some day...

Thanks for all of the help.

Rich
kanjitalk755
Apple Corer

Post by kanjitalk755 »

This is the reply for KnuddlMac's PM.

My fork is based on cebix/macemu.
Because dsumorok/macemu was not merged into cebix/macemu, my fork does not support etherhelper.
The official tuntaposx will not work under macOS10.14.5+ because it is not notarized.
If you can get the tuntaposx which works under Catalina and merge etherhelper, AppleTalk may be able to use.

BTW, can I test AppleTalk functionality using two BasiliskII instances on the same machine (El Capitan)?
If so, tell me how to.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

If they're both bridged to the same virtual network, this should include AppleTalk packets.

However, it's worth noting that bridging on Win10 appears to be a TCP-only thing. AppleTalk packets can get filtered.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

This is our guide to get appletalk going on anything below Catalina:
https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/ap ... ntain_lion

For two instances start one with tap0 and the other with tap1.

Best,
Cat_7
KnuddlMac
Granny Smith

Post by KnuddlMac »

kanjitalk755 wrote:This is the reply for KnuddlMac's PM.

My fork is based on cebix/macemu.
Because dsumorok/macemu was not merged into cebix/macemu, my fork does not support etherhelper.
The official tuntaposx will not work under macOS10.14.5+ because it is not notarized.
If you can get the tuntaposx which works under Catalina and merge etherhelper, AppleTalk may be able to use.
Thank you for your instant reply! - Looking at your sources, I already expected a similar response. - But that also provides me with hope, that if the KEXT issue becomes solved and the Etherhelper jumps in, potentially AppleTalk could be applied.
kanjitalk755 wrote:BTW, can I test AppleTalk functionality using two BasiliskII instances on the same machine (El Capitan)?
If so, tell me how to.
I‘ve seen Ronald already provided you with the right advice. - I‘m on the road for the remainder of this week with (just) Catalina and can‘t test, despite that would be really tempting!
Please let me know, if you‘d see both AppleTalk parties pairing.

I‘ll try to merge the Etherhelper into your code base and (don‘t know how that finally works) will try a pull request.
I‘m still struggling as Etherhelper seems to be an application on it‘s own and here I don‘t know if it‘s possible at all, to add this code element to your existing Xcode project. - But such details should be taken offline, I‘d guess.

Bottom line: In my little world, there are two elements to be established:

- Adding an Etherhelper app to support TUN/TAB and confirm that AppleTalk is already supported.
- Arranging notarized KEXTs for Mojave and Catalina plus future releases
- Alternatively, explore what‘s happening around these vETH devices being announced on Mac Developers. - Look‘s like that‘s the path for long term success.
IP connectivity for the user space will increase, but Kernel extensions expose too much risk.

If such package could be established, I wouldn‘t become too nervous that all my good old Macintosh Hardware is slowly dying. The bytes would continue to live on MacOS.

With brute force I try to keep alive my PowerBook 100, but the day will come.
For myself I decided, it makes less sense to fight capacitor leakage. Instead move the bytes to Basilisk on a Mac and with a little AppleTalk, all feels like being at Apple‘s home. The performance of Kanjitalk‘s release with IP access is already breathtaking and I‘ve never seen a faster MS FoxPro machine with such big full colored monitor on my desk!

Life is good!
Let us establish the best System 7 experience on our OSxMacs.
Imagine: People are still using licenses acquired in 1994. - Do you know any DOS user of these days who still wants to do so?

Best!
-KnuddlMac
kanjitalk755
Apple Corer

Post by kanjitalk755 »

I tried dsumorok's 32-bit BasiliskII with the etherhelper.
Host: El Capitan (tuntaposx installed)
Guest: Mac OS 8.1

BasiliskII#1: ether etherhelper/tap0/bridge0/en0
BasiliskII#2: ether etherhelper/tap1/bridge0/en0

I found the tap1 was not added to the bridge0, then issued the command:

Code: Select all

$ sudo ifconfig bridge0 addm tap1
Both BasiliskII:
  • AppleTalk control panel: Connect via: Ethernet
    TCP/IP control panel: Connect via: Ethernet, Configure: Using DHCP Server
BasiliskII#1:
  • Enabled File Sharing.
BasiliskII#2:
  • Opened Chooser and selected AppleShare.
Result: no server listed in Chooser.

I executed tcpdump, the packets "=:AFPServer@*" are observed both the tap0 and the tap1.

What should I do?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Indeed, it seems tap1 (or any tap device added as second tap) does not get added to the bridge by the helper. I can add it with the command you also found: $ sudo ifconfig bridge0 addm tap1.

If I do so, I can see both Basilisks in the chooser under appletalk.

It seems I cannot run two instances of Basilisk with ethernethelper when starting them from the app. I have to go into the bundle to start the second one. I assume you are changing the prefs to boot a different hard disk before starting the second Basilisk?

btw: this is on Sierra host.

Best,
Cat_7