Building from github using VS2015 Community Edition

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

adams
Space Cadet

Building from github using VS2015 Community Edition

Post by adams »

Hi all,

I'm in the process of getting started with Basilisk II's source code (from github) for Windows 10 builds. After a few hours of fiddling with Basilisk II build solution I've finally got the 32bit non-JIT release and debug builds to succeed and actually run on 64 bit Windows 10.

Later I finally managed to successfully boot into 68k mac os 7.6.1 using my local build of Basilisk II. Nice!

So some questions:

I just chose VS 2015 because its what I'm using for other projects. What are other people really using?

My attempt to build a 64 bit executable was a total failure. Too many cast errors/warnings. The JIT builds crash on start. I'm guessing that 64 bit is unsupported at the moment for Windows. Is that true?

I couldn't find the Basilisk GUI config build project. Is that a separate build project? Where? How? Am I missing something trivial?

cheers,
Adam
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Building from github using VS2015 Community Edition

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Last time I built Basilisk for Windows I used msys/mingw. 64 bit jit is broken, as you noticed.
There is a recent build from our member emendelson available, but I don't know how it was built.

For the GUI see "To build the Windows GUIs" and further below "Building BasiliskII in Windows" on this page:
https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/co ... r_basilisk

I have no idea whether that can be done with VS.

Best, and good luck. Basilisk for Windows could do with some love ;-)
Cat_7
adams
Space Cadet

Post by adams »

Perhaps I was unclear. I successfully used Visual Studio 2015 to build the github version to target the 32 bit debug and release. Not the JIT.

I'm not asking for help on how to generally build it. I've already done that after I fixed a bunch of issues. I'll need to do the git dance next to get it back into github.

I have the emulator up and running nicely. I can use macos7.6.1 and Word/Excel.

I don't know how to get the preferences GUI however. Can't seem to find that. So I'm using an old version of that utility.

I haven't tried compiling on mac or linux yet.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Perhaps I was unclear. I successfully used Visual Studio 2015 to build the github version to target the 32 bit debug and release. Not the JIT.
I understood that. I just added that 64 bit jit is broken anyhow.
I'm not asking for help on how to generally build it. I've already done that after I fixed a bunch of issues. I'll need to do the git dance next to get it back into github.
Yes, nice.
I have the emulator up and running nicely. I can use macos7.6.1 and Word/Excel.
That was clear to me.
I don't know how to get the preferences GUI however. Can't seem to find that. So I'm using an old version of that utility.
I believe I answered that question by pointing to our compiling guide. How to build the Windows standalone GUI is detailed there.

Best,
Cat_7
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Cat_7 wrote: Last time I built Basilisk for Windows I used msys/mingw. 64 bit jit is broken, as you noticed.
There is a recent build from our member emendelson available, but I don't know how it was built.
I used msys/mingw also. I'm fairly certain I posted build instructions here. Haven't tried it for many months, though.

@adams, could you let us know how you got BII to build with VS, and perhaps post your version of the code on GitHub?
mabam
Master Emulator

Post by mabam »

emendelson wrote:I used msys/mingw also. I'm fairly certain I posted build instructions here. Haven't tried it for many months, though.
Are these the build instructions you mean?
https://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10019
adams
Space Cadet

Post by adams »

Hi

I'm still working the basics for VS2015. I haven't yet modified any configure or makefiles. SDL 1.2 had a minor build issue as well so that's fixed now. The build instructions I'm using currently consist of "enable relevant defines then run build solution".

I now see there are existing forks using SDL2. I'd rather use one of those as base. Which version is authoritative?

- adams
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

adams wrote:I now see there are existing forks using SDL2. I'd rather use one of those as base. Which version is authoritative?
Have a look here: https://github.com/kanjitalk755/macemu

kanjitalk755 is also a member of this forum and he is usually responsive to questions and reported issues.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

mabam wrote:
emendelson wrote:I used msys/mingw also. I'm fairly certain I posted build instructions here. Haven't tried it for many months, though.
Are these the build instructions you mean?
https://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10019
Yes, they are. I think they should still work, though now you should download SDL 2.0.10, I suppose.