Preconfigured hard drive images full of apps and games?

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

ellie
Space Cadet

Preconfigured hard drive images full of apps and games?

Post by ellie »

Hi all, this is such a helpful forum. I am wondering if anyone has any preconfigured hard drive images full of apps and games to download? I saw the blank ones earlier, but am curious if anyone's come up with a great, ready-to-go collection that can be explored and enjoyed at a moment's notice.

Or more ambitious, if anyone actually created a hard drive image of their old 68k Mac's hard drive to revive it in the present day — with the understanding of personal image and stuff being scrubbed, of course.

Does anything like this exist? In my searches so far I have not been able to find it. Thank you. :)
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Preconfigured hard drive images full of apps and games?

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Note that it is this board's policy to not allow direct links to EULA or copyright protected materials. That includes pre-installed systems.
ellie
Space Cadet

Post by ellie »

Thanks Ronald I understand, like some previous posts I have seen, if there are search tips to resources elsewhere, that'd be great.

And I appreciate all your encouraging help on this forum!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

In the "Other SheepShaver configurations" subforum (see SheepShaver forum), you can find references to emendelson's standalone SheepShaver configurations that contain pre-installed MacOS 9 systems with some additional software.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

The additional software on my systems is mostly for word processing (WordPerfect, released freely; Acrobat Reader; etc.); nothing for games. You (the original poster) could always put together something like this and make it available.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Maybe something like this matches the original question?
https://macintoshgarden.org/games/1000-games
Also there are many Mac magazine CD/DVD images collected at Macintoshgarden meanwhile.
I did add my Nautilus CDs some time ago: https://macintoshgarden.org/apps/nautilus-vol-4-1993
ellie
Space Cadet

Post by ellie »

Thanks for the kind replies. To elaborate, it's not just "games" that I'm interested in, but actual setups that people may have resurrected from their earlier actual 68k Macs, like exploring a living Mac museum frozen in time, representing how it was really configured back then. I wish I had saved mine from circa 1994 when I had a Quadra 660AV. But I appreciate any leads, offsite if need be.

@Ronald I have used Basilisk more than SheepShaver recently, but I should check that out.

@Emendelson That's cool, I'm looking for apps AND games.

@24bit Nautilus, thanks for adding those. That's a name I remember from way back. I used to play with the Wayzata CD Funhouse titles too. That 1000 Games may be fun to explore.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

I've been doing full disk backups of my systems since 1995. Every once in a while i pull up an old backup image and load it in BII or SheepShaver. Usually I need to mess with the system enablers or drop in a generic System file to get things to function under emulation, but with those fixes it works pretty well.

I've got my software archive sorted by publishing date as well -- sometimes I like to spin up a guest system configured how I really wanted my Mac to look at the time, but couldn't because I didn't have enough RAM / HD space / missing a software program.

But this is all with my own software; I'm not about to stick my personal licenses on the Internet.

If you want, I could generate some DiskTracker files so you could view my setup locally.