Login  •  Register


The time is now: Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:45 am

Emaculation wiki  •  Delete all board cookies



Post new topic  Reply to topic Page 3 of 3 [ 59 posts ]    Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Print view Previous topic  |  Next topic
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:08 pm 
Offline
Expert User
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:24 pm
Posts: 5849
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:
Was that only with Control Left mapped to Option?

Oh, yes. I remember now. It must indeed be a bug somewhere. The Alt Right mapped to Option activates all Option and Control keys. But with the Control Left mapped to Option as well, Alt Right actvates the Option keys only. This sort of works around the obvious bug.

Then the best mappings will be:

Shift Left --> Shift
Control Left --> Option
Logo Left
Alt Left --> Command
Space --> Space
Alt Right --> Option
Logo Right
Menu
Control Right --> Control
Shift Right --> Shift


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote Post a reply  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:50 pm 
Offline
Inquisitive Elf

Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:56 pm
Posts: 36
Well, I'd like to stay with
Menu --> Option
because that would my to type all special characters that my AutoHotkey script does not provide. Otherwise, I agree. Should I manage to run BasiliskII in gdb, I will try to look into how Ctrl Left influences Alt Right, because I think
Control Left --> Control
would be even better.

Other reasons for debugging: I already know that the current Windows version of BasiliskII does not accept the keyboardfile option. That should be easier to fix. And then, there are those mysterious crashes that happen when I copy large files over the network to my netatalk server. So, plenty of fun ahead :wink:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote Post a reply  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:25 am 
Offline
Expert User
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:24 pm
Posts: 5849
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
maf wrote:
Well, I'd like to stay with
Menu --> Option
because that would my to type all special characters that my AutoHotkey script does not provide.
I can keep that one, but doesn't Control Left --> Option give you that also?

Quote:
Other reasons for debugging: I already know that the current Windows version of BasiliskII does not accept the keyboardfile option.
What do you mean? The file has never been called keyboardfile, it is either "BasiliskII_keycodes" or "keycodes".


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote Post a reply  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:15 am 
Offline
Inquisitive Elf

Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:56 pm
Posts: 36
Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:
I can keep that one, but doesn't Control Left --> Option give you that also?
It does. But I still hope that the control key can eventually become Control again. And I find it easier to remember that the "special" menu key can be used for all those special characters. Actually, in my keycodes file I'll probably keep Control Left --> Control, because I can handle the AltGr problem in my AutoHotkey script.

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:
What do you mean? The file has never been called keyboardfile, it is either "BasiliskII_keycodes" or "keycodes".
My fault. I war referring to the option keycodefile in the configuration file, which I had misspelled.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote Post a reply  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:12 pm 
Offline
Expert User
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:24 pm
Posts: 5849
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Well, I suppose the location of the keys is also a matter of personal preference.
Best would be all three Shift, Option and Command keys on both sides. There must be at least a Command key on the left side because of the common commands Cmd-Q, Cmd-W, Cmd-C, etc.. I myself mostly use all three modifier keys on the left side.

The Control key is less important, I hardly use it. In MacOS 8 and later it is used with mouse click to get the contextual menu, but in MacOSX control-click can be replaced by a right mouse click and the same is true in MacOS 8 and 9 if the "TheMouse2B" extension is installed. Some third parties (like Microsoft) used the Control key in their software despite the warning by Apple not to use it because the key was reserved for later features. In BasiliskII an SheepShaver the Control key is used for Ctrl-Esc for a hard shut down, Ctrl-Return for window-fullscreen toggle and Ctrl-F5 for mouse grabbing.

For now, I intend to use in keycodes files for distribution for SDL2 BasiliskII and SheepShaver builds for Windows:

Shift Left --> Shift
Control Left --> Option
Logo Left
Alt Left --> Command
Space --> Space
Alt Right --> Option
Logo Right
Menu
Control Right --> Control
Shift Right --> Shift

Of course, you can change it for your own use.

maf wrote:
My fault. I war referring to the option keycodefile in the configuration file, which I had misspelled.

Then I still do not understand what you mean when you say that the current Windows version of BasiliskII does not accept the keycodefile option. The keycodes file BasiliskII_keycodes does work for you, doesn't it?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote Post a reply  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:40 pm 
Offline
Forum All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:11 am
Posts: 2841
Location: Emaculation.com
I think he means that if he changes the path/name to the keycodes file in the prefs, it still looks for BasiliskII_keycodes in the executable's directory. I experienced the same thing, as for years I had the file named differently and linked in prefs.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote Post a reply  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:06 pm 
Offline
Expert User
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:24 pm
Posts: 5849
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Ah, yes.
maf mentioned that before, but I did not fully understand then.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote Post a reply  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:38 am 
Offline
Expert User
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:24 pm
Posts: 5849
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
The issue we encountered with the Alt Gr key is explained in this post in SheepShaver forum:

viewtopic.php?f=20&p=65687#p65687
Quote:
emendelson wrote:
On non-US keyboards, the right Alt is called AltGr, and does the same thing that Ctrl-Alt does on US keyboards.

kanjitalk755 wrote:
I guess AltGr key issues scancodes both 224 and 230 sequentially.
In this case, all phenomena can be explained.

Yes, that explains the issue we encountered.

The version 4 keycodes file will then work identically on both US and non-US keyboards.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote Post a reply  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:55 pm 
Offline
Inquisitive Elf

Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:56 pm
Posts: 36
Thanks for referencing that other thread!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote Post a reply  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic Page 3 of 3 [ 59 posts ]    Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
 

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group