Max disk size usable in BII

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

galgot
Granny Smith

Max disk size usable in BII

Post by galgot »

Hi !

Please what is the maximum HD size that a System 7.5.3 running in BII can read/write ?
For fun I’ve setup a gopher server using NetPresenz in a BII System 7.5.3 on a R-Pi, run fine.
Now I would like it to serve an old Mac software collection, so I can access it for my old Macs locally,
(I know , the R-Pi Raspbian system itself could run a gopher server doing that, but what’s the fun…?).

I need at least 30Gb to store that collection. So I created a 30Gb disk image, formatted it to HFS standard in BII, and I would hope it could store the gopher server files and the collection.

Problem is, it mount Ok in BII, but I can’t activate sharing for it (that is mandatory for NetPresenz to serve files on a volumes), makes the same as if I try to activate sharing on the Unix volume :
And if I try to copy files in there I get a -127 error :

It copies a few folders , but no files.
I’ve checked, and found that from System 7.5.2, Max disk size was 2Tb, so I supposed my 30Gbs was Ok… ?
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_U ... g/en250749
"System 7.5 increased that limit to 4GB and System 7.5.2 and later increases that limit to 2 terabytes on some computers, including -any system that shipped with system 7.5.2 or newer. -any Macintosh system with PCI slots The maximum number of volumes is limited only by the amount of available system memory."

My BII is using a "PERFORMA.ROM" , so I don’t know exactly if it emulates a machine capable of that, as oldest Performa were shipped with 7.0.1…

Also checked what was that -127 error, found it’s an "Internal file system error".

Anyone have an idea ?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Max disk size usable in BII

Post by adespoton »

I believe for 68K Macs, you're looking at max disk size of 4GiB, max file size of 2GiB.

For PPC Macs running 7.5.2 or later, 2 TiB was the max disk size, and 2 GiB was still the max file size.

However, there's a way around that (sort of): the Unix shared drive can be any size, and it only reports the drive as 1GiB while storing however much you need on the host filesystem.

The downside of course, is that you can't run software from there or reliably work with resource forks -- but if you're running a Gopher server, those shouldn't be concerns anyway.
galgot
Granny Smith

Post by galgot »

So it's 2Tb max for PPC only. Thanks for the info.
I'm stuck to 4Gb then :/ cause I can't enable sharing on the Unix volume, and that is required by NetPresenz.

Edit: or, maybe try that with Sheepshaver, as it emulates PPC, maybe it would accept a 30Gb vol...
Problem is building Sheepshaver building always fails on my R-Pi. Have to check again.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

I was playing around with large HFS disk images a while ago.
If memory serves, there were no issues reading or writing to a 30GB volume with Basilisk II.
(Not saying it was wise using such a big volume with HFS.)
I did not try file sharing though.
The volume in question is hosted at Macintoshgarden:
https://macintoshgarden.org/apps/disk-images-emulators

Edit:
Seems I spoke too soon.
I could just reproduce your error with BII and MacOS 7.5.3.
Basilisk II with MacOS 8.1 seems utilise the 30GB image as expected.
Maybe an option for you?

galgot
Granny Smith

Post by galgot »

thanks ! i've just tried your 30 Gb image. The problem seems to come when sharing big volumes in 7.5.3.
If I use it as it is (as you formated it), it mount and I can copy files on it, but turns off files sharing for the all system. if I format it, then I can enable file sharing for the system and smallers disks, but not on that one, and I can't copy files on it...
Anyway, "installed" a 4Gb only disk, and this one works perfect.
Will try with System 8.1 later.
KnuddlMac
Granny Smith

Post by KnuddlMac »

galgot wrote:thanks ! i've just tried your 30 Gb image. The problem seems to come when sharing big volumes in 7.5.3.
If I use it as it is (as you formated it), it mount and I can copy files on it, but turns off files sharing for the all system. if I format it, then I can enable file sharing for the system and smallers disks, but not on that one, and I can't copy files on it...
Anyway, "installed" a 4Gb only disk, and this one works perfect.
Will try with System 8.1 later.
A gopher server - Extremely Cool!

Sharing a 4TB SATA drive under 7.5.1 works for me running atalkd on an oldish linux 14 kernel. I did such also on a PI a couple of years ago. But the SD card will die sooner or later.

I also remember, there was a disk size max of 2GB to be considered. Alternatively dividing large drives into several partitions. And yes, sharing via Chooser works!

Anyway, for a 68k everything larger that 80MBs is still considered as large. J
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

KnuddMac has outlined a way forward that for some reason i totally forgot about: https://www.macip.net/ will let you run an AppleShare volume of any size on a Raspberry Pi or a pre-configured VM. You can then connect to it from BII and share the content onward.

Or if you don't mind not having Mac OS in the mix, you can install a gopher server on the image and share the files directly :) But that wouldn't be as fun, as you've already mentioned.

As an added bonus, you could use BII to run AppleShare Server instead of the regular OS, and have it kitted out with all the enterprise server software :) https://lowendmac.com/1999/appleshare-3/ has some interesting things to say about that however, including a 4GB volume limit.
galgot
Granny Smith

Post by galgot »

adespoton wrote:KnuddMac has outlined a way forward that for some reason i totally forgot about: https://www.macip.net/ will let you run an AppleShare volume of any size on a Raspberry Pi or a pre-configured VM. You can then connect to it from BII and share the content onward.

Or if you don't mind not having Mac OS in the mix, you can install a gopher server on the image and share the files directly :) But that wouldn't be as fun, as you've already mentioned.

As an added bonus, you could use BII to run AppleShare Server instead of the regular OS, and have it kitted out with all the enterprise server software :) https://lowendmac.com/1999/appleshare-3/ has some interesting things to say about that however, including a 4GB volume limit.
Thanks ! Will check that !
KnuddlMac
Granny Smith

Post by KnuddlMac »

KnuddlMac wrote:...works for me running atalkd...
This is not precise, as „netatalk“ and not "atalkd" is the full Linux suite, supporting AppleTalk.
But the daemon atalkd is part of it.

To avoid the fragile SD-Card, you can run for instance the following setup:

https://www.hardkernel.com/product-tag/odroid-hc2/

The enclosure already has a SATA connector for the disk and just needs power and a network cable.
On the SW side, an older version of Ubuntu might be required. I‘m pointing this out, as my most recent HC2 with Owncloud SW just supports recent Macs (High Sierra, Catalina, ...) but AppleTalk Phase 2 got discontinued. - I didn‘ read the release notes and were trying to get it running all that weekend. :lol:

But now I need to check adespoton‘s link, as this also looks 68k-tempting. J