Sound issues with BasiliskII-1.0 SDL2 and OSX Catalina

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

kanjitalk755
Mac Mechanic

Re: Sound issues with BasiliskII-1.0 SDL2 and OSX Catalina

Post by kanjitalk755 »

RichCini wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:21 pm If you’d like I can PM you the same code in two source files rather than in-line or I can try to submit on GitHub. Up to you.
If you have any improvements, please make a pull request on GitHub.
RichCini wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:21 pm Also, I’d like to find a better spot for the chime to sound, like after main window creation. If you can tell me where that is, I can test it. The original spot is after all of what I think are the hardware setups but I think it’s clunky to sound before the main window is open.
The timing to start playing the sound is difficult.
The delay between calling SDL_CreateWindow() and actually displaying it may vary depending on the platform and OS version.
RichCini
Inquisitive Elf

Post by RichCini »

Thanks. Pull requests submitted (hopefully I did it right...first-time Github contributor).

Rich
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

kanjitalk755 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:26 am
RichCini wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:21 pm If you’d like I can PM you the same code in two source files rather than in-line or I can try to submit on GitHub. Up to you.
If you have any improvements, please make a pull request on GitHub.
RichCini wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:21 pm Also, I’d like to find a better spot for the chime to sound, like after main window creation. If you can tell me where that is, I can test it. The original spot is after all of what I think are the hardware setups but I think it’s clunky to sound before the main window is open.
The timing to start playing the sound is difficult.
The delay between calling SDL_CreateWindow() and actually displaying it may vary depending on the platform and OS version.
Seems to me it should be after displaying the window in all cases, but before the System Folder load. This wouldn't be precisely accurate with the original, but would be simpler than patching the ROM to just play the sound without the hardware check.
RichCini
Inquisitive Elf

Post by RichCini »

@kanjitalk755 placed the code in audio_sdl.cpp and calls it at the end of audio initialization so that it will work with both BII and SS. I have only tried the BII version with the latest pull and it works fine.

Rich