Full Screen in videogames with Basilisk II

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Mici0202
Space Cadet

Full Screen in videogames with Basilisk II

Post by Mici0202 »

Hi to all and congratulations for your site and forum :eek: I'm a new user from Italy.

Sorry for my "noob" question :oops:

I have found a "ready-to-play version of BasiliskII with Prince of Persia. I'm using Windows 7 64bit. Game works very good, but
my question is if there's a way to fit the game to full screen.
This is the screenshot :arrow: https://ibb.co/KKf8hkY

(I already have set 640x480 resolution to fit 100% the game to screen, but
my monitor is not good for lower video resolutions) :cry:

So, there's a way to increase internal game resolution to
fit the screen at 1920x1080 :?:
24bit
Forum All-Star

Re: Full Screen in videogames with Basilisk II

Post by 24bit »

Games like PoP were designed to run on small Mac CRT monitors.
Sadly there is no way to make the game run with a higher resolution.
Some games do upscale in Basilisk II when switching to full screen, but some don´t.
What you might try, is setting your monitor to a supported VESA mode like 800x600.
I think you get there via Display - Resolution - Extended Settings - Graphics Card - All video modes.
Now you should see all VESA modes your GPU can display, usually there is a 640x480 setting too.
Of course thats not a perfect solution, but maybe a compromise with the least black area?
The amount of game pixel is the same always, they just are displayed larger. :(
Mici0202
Space Cadet

Post by Mici0202 »

Thanks for reply 24bit! :eek:

There isn't other solutions? Another software like Mini vMac, or SheepShaver that can upscaling games?

I tried also changing my Win7 desktop resolution to 800x600: obiously black borders disappears, but the result is the same: the game is blurry: seems like my graphic card (Nvidia 1050 Ti), automatically adds a bilinear filtering when using lower video resolutions. (In my old notebook, the game works perfectly 640x400 without that kind of bilinear filtering).

I also tried with Win7 magnification utility with 1920x1080 (with black borders), but it's not a good solution.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

The only way to get an enlarged appearance that is not blurred, though a little jagged, is to keep your monitor at its default resolution and then set BasiliskII in the GUI to full screen and exact half the size of the resolution of your monitor (both height and width).
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
Mici0202
Space Cadet

Post by Mici0202 »

Ok, thanks Ronald :eek:

Another question: Basilisk II crashes every time pressing Alt+Tab: I think I've read some time ago in a section of this forum that you Ronald developed developed a version of Basiliks II with a fix for that.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

I am not a developer, but changes have been made to kanjitalk755 source that makes it possible to change mapping of modifier keys in the keycode file. No one posted a Windows build from that source yet. Such a build should then be used with a new keycode file.

Alt-Tab on Windows would probably translate to Command-Tab in BasiliskII. That combo has no function there. A new BasiliskII build for Windows plus the new keycode file will not change that.