This disk (CD-ROM) is unreadable by this Macintosh

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: This disk (CD-ROM) is unreadable by this Macintosh

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

RanJay wrote:If I save it as a text file, which I can, is there anyway to import it into a new program that can sort and align the rows/columns?
I tried with an old AppleWorks (successor of ClarisWorks) database. Saved it as text in AppleWorks 6 in SheepShaver MacOS9. The ascii text file opens nicely in Apple's Numbers with rows and columns intact. It will also open in MS Excel, but it looks better in Numbers. Because the "text" file is ascii text, special characters will not be displayed correctly.

I do not currently have a database application to try.

I could not make the original database open in LibreOffice as adespoton suggests and CW/AW databases does not have a CSV export option.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Added some more information
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Did some more tests.
- The file will open in both Numbers and Excel if it has a .txt extension.
- Special characters are preserved in Excel, but not in Numbers.
- When I open the .txt file in Excel and save it as .cvs. I can then open the file in Numbers with special characters preserved.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
RanJay
Inquisitive Elf

Post by RanJay »

emendelson wrote:LibreOffice is reported to be able to open ClarisWorks databases; I haven't tried it, but it's free, so the worst thing that can happen is that you'll waste a few minutes installing it.
Thanks Ronald!
It was able to read the file and seems perfect!
RanJay
Inquisitive Elf

Post by RanJay »

adespoton wrote:LibreOffice should be able to directly import the database. If it fails, export to CSV in Claris, and import that into whatever spreadsheet program you want to use (Libre, Excel, GDocs, etc.).
LibreOffice worked!
Thanks for your help!!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

RanJay wrote:LibreOffice worked!
Indeed. I tried everything I could think of to open or import the CW/AW database in LibreOffice except for the one simple method that works: Start LibreOffice and use Open... from the File menu. :oops:
RanJay
Inquisitive Elf

Post by RanJay »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:
RanJay wrote:LibreOffice worked!
Indeed. I tried everything I could think of to open or import the CW/AW database in LibreOffice except for the one simple method that works: Start LibreOffice and use Open... from the File menu. :oops:
Yep. That's how I opened it.
Now I'm just cleaning the document up by changing the font size and what not.
Can't do the whole document at once.
There seems to be some sort of glitch where I can select a bunch of fields in a column to fix, but one of those fields might prevent me from changing all the fields I selected.
Annoying, but not as annoying as having to redo my entire database.
Once I'm finished fixing the document up, I think I'm going to export it a different way.
Right now it's a .ods file, which is not viewable by Numbers.
So I'll play around with it until I figure that out.
Thanks again for all your help Ronald!
Truly appreciated!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

If you rather use it in Numbers, better stop doing things like changing fonts in LibreOffice. All that will be lost in another application.

The .ods (open document) format is native to LibreOffice.

In LibreOffice you can save as text CSV, choose Unicode (UTF-8) for the font set. The CSV file can be opened in Numbers.

In Numbers you can save it as a .numbers file. Then you can edit table styles, etc.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: