Mac OS 7.1 - Boot Floppy

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

tcat
Inquisitive Elf

Mac OS 7.1 - Boot Floppy

Post by tcat »

Hi,

Not sure I have ever known, or long forgotten.

Boot floppies, what it takes to make them, for System 7.1.x preferably.

Creating disk image, and copying relevant `System', `Finder',
creating folders `Apple Items', `Fonts', and `Extensions', ... others?

How to make it bootable though, a boot sector creator?
P.S. I have a bootable floppy image for 7.8.x

Many thanks
Tom
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Mac OS 7.1 - Boot Floppy

Post by adespoton »

Hi Tom,
To make a boot floppy, you need to copy a System folder with the System, System Enabler XXX (number needs to match your hardware) and Finder files in it onto a floppy disk. Or, create the appropriate boot disk with an Install disk set that will contain all the software appropriate for your hardware.

For classic Macs, no boot sectors etc. are needed; the System folder, however, must be "blessed" in order to boot. This can be done by opening the System file while the disk is mounted.

Since there was never an OS called System 7.8, I presume you mean Mac OS 8? Or do you mean 7.1, 7.1.1 or 7.1.2? Or 7.5.3 or 7.5.5?
tcat
Inquisitive Elf

Post by tcat »

Interesting, blessing a `System' :-)
System Enabler XXX
Re enablers, I can see 040, with `Apple-I' info ==>
System 7.1.2P that would be Performa?

Tom
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Anything ending in P is Performa (some product in the line) -- all the Performas came with a P-series OS pre-installed and no install disks; instead there was a utilities disk that contained backup software you could use to backup/restore the OS to your own set of disks.

For system enablers, check:
https://www.savagetaylor.com/2015/11/23 ... e-history/

The hardware innards of BII were tested against a Quadra and one of the Performas; I forget which one. So the ROM you use has to be compatible with one of those sets of hardware, and the OS you use has to be compatible with one of those sets of hardware as well. The ModelID will need to support the same hardware as well.

The 040 enabler works because it matches the Quadra hardware, which BII supports. The II series uses System Enabler 001. The Performa enablers are all over the place. It's possible that sound might "just work" if you get the right enabler, modelID and ROM lined up, but I've never had success in that direction. It was easier to use one of the P releases of software designed for the Performa; I was able to get sound working there without extra extensions.
tcat
Inquisitive Elf

Post by tcat »

utilities disk that contained backup software you could use to backup/restore the OS to your own set of disks.
Tried that, `MacOS71P.ZIP', it has `Apple Restore' utility, I would not know how to use.
It says:

Code: Select all

There does not seem to be a hard disk to restore to
Tom
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Yeah; you can't do that from within Basilisk II which doesn't emulate SCSI.

You can, however, do it from within SoftMac XP. That's how I did it. Since I use a Mac, I ran SoftMac XP inside WineSkin -- I probably could have done it more easily inside a VM running XP. You need the restore disks though.
tcat
Inquisitive Elf

Post by tcat »

To make a boot floppy, you need to copy a System folder with the System, System Enabler XXX (number needs to match your hardware) and Finder files in it onto a floppy disk.
Great!
Under Apple Items, appears just a single entry `Boot disk', and after reboot,
all remaining folders are recreated - works.

Tom