Creating MacOS753 in BasiliskII

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Leopard of 97
Space Cadet

Creating MacOS753 in BasiliskII

Post by Leopard of 97 »

Hello fellow mac enthusisats.

I am trying to run BasiliskII with the 64 bit extension on my 2018 Mac Book Pro that runs Catalina 10.15.7. I have been following the setup guide here: https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/ba ... _osx_setup

I am running into a problem when trying to "create a file that will be used as your Mac hard disk to install your future Mac OS on"
I Click “Create” in the GUI
I give the file a name, name it “MacOS753”
I set the size for the hard disk. I select1000 Mb
I Click Save
The GUI pops up some blue text that says "Status: 'MacOS753.dsk' - 1000 MB Done!'
I click "done"
Because I have the 64 bit version, I click "Add..." in the GUI, and there is no MacOS753.dsk file anywhere. I have searched my hard drive for extensions that have .dsk to see if it is saved somewhere else, but it is not anywhere.

What can I do? Am I making a mistake? When I complete the other steps, I can run BasiliskII, except I can't fully set it up because the MacOS753.dsk file is missing.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Creating MacOS753 in BasiliskII

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

You did exactly as instructed. The file should be created in the folder where the GUI app resides, if you followed the setup guide that will be the BasiliskII folder. It works fine here in Catalina.
Leopard of 97
Space Cadet

Post by Leopard of 97 »

I ran through several times, and the MacOS753.dsk never appears.

I tried downloading one from MacintoshRepository, and it did work when I added it into the GUI. I am trying to relive the excitement of my first - and therefore most exciting - computer game from my childhood. SimSafari. It's been 20 years since I played it, and I remember being so excited when my Dad took me to the store to let me pick out my first computer game. Working through the emulation and setup is really reminding me of the late 90s/early 2000s, when there weren't many resources for solving problems outside of message boards. It is really warming my heart to be working through an issue here, with other kind people in a messageboard - thank you for your help and all the work you've done on BasiliskII.

I downloaded the game files, brought them into the Unix folder, and went to drop them into the MacOS753 folder and - there isn't enough space! I deleted what I could, but am 13.5 MB short. So, right now I am thinking that I need a larger sized MasOS753.dsk folder. However, I can't find a larger size, and I can't get BasiliskII to create one.

Do you have any ideas, or know of a larger one posted anywhere? The GUI says "Status: Create 'file name.dsk' - 1500 MB Done! but the file never comes.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Here is a 2000Mb disk file for you:
https://surfdrive.surf.nl/files/index.p ... l/download

Best,
Cat_7
Leopard of 97
Space Cadet

Post by Leopard of 97 »

Thank you, Cat_7. I'm excited to try this out. I appreciate the link and will let you now how it goes!