How much ram for Basilisk

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

starfiretbt
Mac Mechanic

How much ram for Basilisk

Post by starfiretbt »

I'm playing the game "Pax Imperia" and occasionally Basilisk Freezes up and I have to close it using task manager. I've set up SheepShaver as I'm ready for that and I thought maybe that might be better for the game but while setting it up I was reminded of ram size in the gui setup. I was wondering can not having enough ram cause Basilisk to freeze up or would having too much also cause it to freeze up because it might increase ram requirements (in other words if my computer doesn't have enough ram because too many processes are running at the same time)?
I was looking back at some of my older posts and I noticed in this topic viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10645&p=66386&hilit=ram#p66386 it's not always a good idea to have too much ram. The quote was "BII can address significantly more -- but that doesn't mean you *should* give it more." Is that because the ROMS require a specific amount of ram, too little and it can't function, too much and it would overload?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: How much ram for Basilisk

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

How much RAM did you give BasiliskII and/or SheepShaver? 256MB or 512MB should be plenty for any normal use.

There is no relation between rom files and how much RAM you can or should give to the emulators.

Because of the way BasiliskII and SheepShaver use memory on the host, there may sometimes be issues with other software that was started before the emulators. But that would produce an error while starting the emulator.

Within the emulator, do not use too many applications at the same time. Quit an application that you stopped using before launching another one and remember that in MacOS closing all windows of an application does not stop the application.

For use of a memory-intensive task, best restart the emulator. Launching and quitting applications may leave memory in MacOS fragmented.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: How much ram for Basilisk

Post by adespoton »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:04 am How much RAM did you give BasiliskII and/or SheepShaver? 256MB or 512MB should be plenty for any normal use.

There is no relation between rom files and how much RAM you can or should give to the emulators.

Because of the way BasiliskII and SheepShaver use memory on the host, there may sometimes be issues with other software that was started before the emulators. But that would produce an error while starting the emulator.

Within the emulator, do not use too many applications at the same time. Quit an application that you stopped using before launching another one and remember that in MacOS closing all windows of an application does not stop the application.

For use of a memory-intensive task, best restart the emulator. Launching and quitting applications may leave memory in MacOS fragmented.
Worth noting that System 7 - Mac OS 9 has known memory management bugs that Apple never fixed -- Connectix RAM Doubler fixed a number of them by re-implementing the management from scratch, but in so doing introduced a few other issues. As a result, it's definitely a good idea to run as few apps as possible at the same time in classic Mac OS, as well as limiting the number of extensions and control panels to the ones you actually need for purpose. Since we can run as many copies of the emulators as we want concurrently these days, I tend to make task-based instances that can run at the same time, so that if one goes down, the others can still run in an optimal manner.