Newbie running Android version...help please

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

fluent
Student Driver

Newbie running Android version...help please

Post by fluent »

hi guys! :)

so, i've gotten 8.1 working with a 200mb .dsk and it loads to the desktop fine. Using a samsung s6 tablet if that makes any difference.

anyway, i have a .sit file game i'd like to play, how do i go about doing it on 'droid? any help is appreciated, thanks!

- fluent
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Newbie running Android version...help please

Post by adespoton »

First you need to get Stuffit Expander loaded; MG has a disk image with it. After that, you just need to get your sit file stuffed into a disk image where Expander can do its job.
fluent
Student Driver

Post by fluent »

adespoton wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:42 pm First you need to get Stuffit Expander loaded; MG has a disk image with it. After that, you just need to get your sit file stuffed into a disk image where Expander can do its job.
thanks, but can u explain this in dummy terms? lol. like a step by step process would be great!

stuffit expander, i don't see that on the google play store. and what is mg?
Last edited by fluent on Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

fluent wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:48 pm
adespoton wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:42 pm First you need to get Stuffit Expander loaded; MG has a disk image with it. After that, you just need to get your sit file stuffed into a disk image where Expander can do its job.
thanks, but can u explain this in dummy terms? lol. like a step by step process would be great!

stuffit expander, i don't see that on the google play store. and what is mg?
Stuffit Expander is the Classic Mac equivalent to WinZip. It's not part of the Mac OS by default, so you need to install it. MG is the Macintosh Garden, a site that hosts old Macintosh software, including a disk image with Stuffit Expander, designed specifically to get people running Basilisk II up and running.

As I have no Android devices and the Android build of BII isn't an official build, I'm probably not the best person to advise you on how to move things around in your host operating system. In all honesty, you'll probably get better help in the Macintosh Garden forums, as there's a community there focused specifically around running BII on Android and ChromeOS.
fluent
Student Driver

Post by fluent »

ok, i'm getting help from them, too, but may i ask - what do i need to do to get the mac os to recognize the .sit files? in other words, i have a .sit file in My Files on Android, the file itself. I'd like to transfer that file to the mac os, so it appears on the desktop of the mac os. what is generally needed for that? perhaps i can find the android equivalent.

edit - in other words, do I need a special app, or to do something or point to some path in My Files to place the .sit file?
Last edited by fluent on Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

fluent wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:24 am ok, i'm getting help from them, too, but may i ask - what do i need to do to get the mac os to recognize the .sit files? in other words, i have a .sit file in My Files on Android, the file itself. I'd like to transfer that file to the mac os, so it appears on the desktop of the mac os. what is generally needed for that? perhaps i can find the android equivalent.

edit - in other words, do I need a special app, or to do something or point to some path in My Files to place the .sit file?
If the Android version honors the shared folder preference (I don't see why it wouldn't), you need to define a folder (either the My Files folder or a folder inside that) as the shared folder, and then BII will mount this on the desktop as a virtual drive, allowing you to access everything inside it (for copying purposes). Don't try to use that folder for anything other than file transfer; don't drag stuff to the Finder desktop from there, and don't try to load files into any application from there; just use it to copy files to a virtual disk in the Finder.

Once you've done that, the .sit files will likely have blank file icons because they lost their file type and creator. But if you drag them over Expander, it will still recognize them as archives and decompress them for you.
fluent
Student Driver

Post by fluent »

what do u mean by finder? would it be okay to simply copy a .sit file from the mounted drive to the desktop of mac os 8.1 and expand it there?

ok, the finder is the desktop, right? if i copy/move to a proper location, the items from unix/the mounted folder will run correctly?

edit - figured it all out! thanks a lot for the help, it was very valuable to me, appreciate u! take care. or, we can continue by you telling me some good mac RPGs to play that i missed over the years. vintage rpgs are good. :)
Last edited by fluent on Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

fluent wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:51 pm what do u mean by finder? would it be okay to simply copy a .sit file from the mounted drive to the desktop of mac os 8.1 and expand it there?

ok, the finder is the desktop, right? if i copy/move to a proper location, the items from unix/the mounted folder will run correctly?

edit - figured it all out! thanks a lot for the help, it was very valuable to me, appreciate u! take care. or, we can continue by you telling me some good mac RPGs to play that i missed over the years. vintage rpgs are good. :)
Just a few clarifications that should help you in the future: The Finder is an application that loads by default on bootup. It is roughly analogous to Windows Explorer plus the Windows Desktop in one application. The "Desktop" itself is just a concept as far as location goes, with each mounted filesystem having its own "Desktop Folder" -- any contents in that folder will show up on the desktop.

So if you drag a file from the Unix folder to the desktop, it gets moved to the "Desktop Folder" inside the Unix folder, and is NOT copied to the boot image drive or a secondary disk image (which is where you'd want it).

For RPGs, most of the vintage DOS ones also showed up on the Mac, but there's also Theldrow, Pathways Into Darkness, Dungeons of Doom, all the RPGMaker games (there's hundreds), and a whack of Hypercard stacks that are RPG-like. Nethack and Rogue also made an appearance.
fluent
Student Driver

Post by fluent »

adespoton wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:38 pm
fluent wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:51 pm what do u mean by finder? would it be okay to simply copy a .sit file from the mounted drive to the desktop of mac os 8.1 and expand it there?

Just a few clarifications that should help you in the future: The Finder is an application that loads by default on bootup. It is roughly analogous to Windows Explorer plus the Windows Desktop in one application. The "Desktop" itself is just a concept as far as location goes, with each mounted filesystem having its own "Desktop Folder" -- any contents in that folder will show up on the desktop.

So if you drag a file from the Unix folder to the desktop, it gets moved to the "Desktop Folder" inside the Unix folder, and is NOT copied to the boot image drive or a secondary disk image (which is where you'd want it).

For RPGs, most of the vintage DOS ones also showed up on the Mac, but there's also Theldrow, Pathways Into Darkness, Dungeons of Doom, all the RPGMaker games (there's hundreds), and a whack of Hypercard stacks that are RPG-like. Nethack and Rogue also made an appearance.
got it, thanks!

what do i do with a toast.sit file? i'm trying to install heroes of might and magic 3...and the files are too large to move (they freeze mac os 8.1 when trying to move them.) any ideas here? thanks!

edit - nevermind, it's not compatible with 8.1!
fluent
Student Driver

Post by fluent »

hmm, quick question. i may have a solution with sdl of basilisk BUT, do u know of any way to emulate the numeric keypad of a keyboard? i tried key caps in mac os but when the game appeared it went fullscreen and the keyboard disappeared. maybe there's a way to pin that keyboard to the front of the screen? or some other solution?

my solution is a bit janky with sdl, i have 2 buttons on the ui that represent 1 and 2 on the number pad. problem is they are always there even when i'm doing other stuff. it's just annoying. so maybe there's a better way, so i ask u! thanks. :)
fluent
Student Driver

Post by fluent »

anyone?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

fluent wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:32 pmanyone?
Using the SDL build you can modify the keycodes file to map to your soft keyboard... but I'm not sure what mappings you'd need. It would be easier to use a wired or bluetooth keyboard with your Droid device that has the keypad on it.
fluent
Student Driver

Post by fluent »

adespoton wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:21 pm
fluent wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:32 pmanyone?
Using the SDL build you can modify the keycodes file to map to your soft keyboard... but I'm not sure what mappings you'd need. It would be easier to use a wired or bluetooth keyboard with your Droid device that has the keypad on it.
not sure what you mean with that first part. modify the keycodes to what soft keyboard? I'm using a hardware keyboard without the keypad - it is specifically designed for the samsung s6 tablet. is there a way to have, say, the CTRL + 1 key combo be a keypad 1? i'm a bit confused, can u break it down for me what i'd need to do?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Is this about SDL1 or about SDL2?
The needed keycodes file will be different.
fluent
Student Driver

Post by fluent »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:11 pm Is this about SDL1 or about SDL2?
The needed keycodes file will be different.
not sure, it doesn't say when i load basilisk ii...

what should i try?

oh, nevermind, i figured it out! i just remapped 1, 2, 3 to keypad 1, 2, 3, etc.. works fine. :D thanks!
fluent
Student Driver

Post by fluent »

ok quick question.

i am trying to play heroes of might & magic 1. it installs fine, needs the disc to run, works fine. But the play is very choppy, especially the intro cinematics which are very choppy. Any idea how to fix this? tried 256 colors as well as millions, can't figure out why it is so slow.