Speedometer: Disk Test Problem

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

ebann
Tinkerer

Speedometer: Disk Test Problem

Post by ebann »

First of all, a big thanks for this wonderful emulator! Running Mac OS 7.6.1 on a cheap $200 Chromebook makes my eyes water with joy! I like to boast that Chrome OS has been eradicated like the virus that it is... and replace it with Debian Linux that automatically boots into Basilisk II. Being a perfectionist, I like to back up my glee with numbers... from Speedometer 3. Unfortunately, the disk test fails with the following error message: "Not enough RAM for Disk test. Quit and enlarge memory size."

https://imgur.com/a/AteBNG3

Any ideas why this happens? Same thing with Speedometer 4. I tried with the Windows binary with the same error message.

My specs:

Debian 10.7 Buster
Latest Basilisk 23-12-2020
LC III ROM
32MB RAM
400MB HDD
IIci emulation with 68030 plus FPU
800x600@60Hz
System 7.6.1
24bit
Forum All-Star

Re: Speedometer: Disk Test Problem

Post by 24bit »

Did you try assigning more RAM to Speedometer already?
The RAM setting can be edited via "Get Info" from the File menu.

You might also try setting the target for Disk Test to another folder.
Usually the Disk Test folder is the Speedometer folder, setting it to the Unix folder may cause unwanted results.
ebann
Tinkerer

Post by ebann »

24bit wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:31 pm Did you try assigning more RAM to Speedometer already?
1. I never thought about this since it ran fine out-of-the-box in Mini vMac on a Mac Plus with only 4MB of RAM.
2. I didn't know about this "assign more RAM" to an application... which reveals my non-Mac upbringing (I had an Amiga 500).
3. So I increased the assigned RAM from 1MB ( :shock: isn't that enough?) to 4MB and the error message went away BUT the Disk score was 0! If I run onlythe Disk test I do get a score. What's going on?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

ebann wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:47 pm
24bit wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:31 pm Did you try assigning more RAM to Speedometer already?
1. I never thought about this since it ran fine out-of-the-box in Mini vMac on a Mac Plus with only 4MB of RAM.
2. I didn't know about this "assign more RAM" to an application... which reveals my non-Mac upbringing (I had an Amiga 500).
3. So I increased the assigned RAM from 1MB ( :shock: isn't that enough?) to 4MB and the error message went away BUT the Disk score was 0! If I run onlythe Disk test I do get a score. What's going on?
What's going on is that Basilisk II patches the system so that much of the work is done by the host system instead. So if Speedometer is trying to count something that BII just outsources to the host... you'll get a result of 0 as there's no processing being done by the emulated system.