Serial Port mapping in Basilisk II with host OS X?

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Warty
Student Driver

Serial Port mapping in Basilisk II with host OS X?

Post by Warty »

I'm trying to test a program I'm developing for classic Macs that uses the serial port. I see references to being able to Map serial ports to OS X /dev/tty* serial devices, but I can't get anything to stick there. I can get that working in SheepShaver. I don't suppose there's a trick that works?

eg, here's what I would like to get working in BII:
/dev/tty.usbserial-FT53JP031

That will let me talk to my Mac Plus on the other end of the USB<>Serial adapter.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Serial Port mapping in Basilisk II with host OS X?

Post by adespoton »

So this is what I've got my BII config file set to:

seriala /dev/cu.Bluetooth-Modem
serialb /dev/tty.iPhone-Wirelessi

The first lets me connect to bluetooth as if it's a tethered device, BT acting as an external modem for BII on the modem port. The second connects to the Bluetooth serial on my phone, where I can also run a terminal emulator to debug data being sent over this point.

Where are you experiencing your issue?
Warty
Student Driver

Post by Warty »

No matter what value I put there, in BII, if I open say Zterm, both the modem and serial port will be unavailable (OSErr -23).
"Modem Port is not available. Please select another port:"
### Error: -23 opening port

I get the same -23 in my own code in BII, when calling OpenDriver(). (works fine on SheepShaver, or on a real Mac with modem ports).

basically, I'd like to be able to do the following:
- communicate with physical Mac Plus via USB<>Serial cable. (works in SheepShaver)
- connect via UNIX screen command to the emulated Mac in BII (eg, screen /dev/ttys002 19200,cs8,ixon,-ixoff,-istrip,-parenb0
- connect via a (modern) Mac app I haven't written yet, to the emulated Mac in BII.

Big Sur 11.1.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Warty wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:31 pm No matter what value I put there, in BII, if I open say Zterm, both the modem and serial port will be unavailable (OSErr -23).
"Modem Port is not available. Please select another port:"
### Error: -23 opening port

I get the same -23 in my own code in BII, when calling OpenDriver(). (works fine on SheepShaver, or on a real Mac with modem ports).

basically, I'd like to be able to do the following:
- communicate with physical Mac Plus via USB<>Serial cable. (works in SheepShaver)
- connect via UNIX screen command to the emulated Mac in BII (eg, screen /dev/ttys002 19200,cs8,ixon,-ixoff,-istrip,-parenb0
- connect via a (modern) Mac app I haven't written yet, to the emulated Mac in BII.

Big Sur 11.1.
You'll need to run BII with sudo, or it won't actually have access to the tty ports. There's probably a way around this using user extensions, but I haven't read up on how to do that in Big Sur yet.
Warty
Student Driver

Post by Warty »

I've tried with just "sudo xxx/BasiliskII", but get same results. It seems to be reading the prefs settings (has same disks/screen size/etc) so I don't think it's that the port settings are getting lost. Is there something else I should be putting on the command line for options?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Not that I'm aware of.
Warty
Student Driver

Post by Warty »

Hmm. bummer.
ironborn65
Space Cadet

Post by ironborn65 »

Hi everyone,

this is my first post in this community, so you deserve a presentation.
Young enough to have bought a Mac SE HDFD when I was a student at the University.
I recently became addicted to collecting, repairing and mangling with old Macs, I have about 20 of them, plus a Next Station and a Apple IIe.

I'm also trying to send files to my Compact 68k via ZTerm from BasiliskII from a High Sierra.
I can successfully "talks" across ZTerm in the Classic to High Sierra Serial Tool and any other terminal like software and screen CLI as well.
I do have the same issue here.

My device path on the MacOS is /dev/tty.wchusbserialfd120, I typed it in the Modem Port field on Serial/Network tab in BasiliskIIGUI.
When connecting with ZTerm from BII I have "Error: -23 opening port", It loops until BasiliskII crashes.
I'm following the tutorial from https://www.savagetaylor.com/2020/11/24 ... macintosh/
but they are using MS Windows for the calling party, there is not help when using modern Apple machines.
I changed owner to the tty with no success

Had anyone success to ZTerm to a classic from MacOS/BasiliskII ?
Apple IIe,Mac Plus,Mac II,Mac SE,Mac SE/30, LC, LCIII, Classic, Classic Color, Performa 200, Mac IISI, Powerbook 190/66,Power Mac 6100/60,Power Mac 5200/75,PB 190,G4 Sawtooth,G3 Wallstreet,G3 Pismo,Mini mid2012,MacBook Air mid 2011,Air M1, NeXt Station
nsputnik
Student Driver

Post by nsputnik »

I wonder if you can adapt the Midi vMac project to work for this. /forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10420