Getting Macintalk working on MacOS 7.5.3

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

debil082
Space Cadet

Getting Macintalk working on MacOS 7.5.3

Post by debil082 »

Hey, I'm completely new with all kinds of MacOS and Macintosh, I never used anything from Apple in my life.
For now, I managed to install MacOS 7.5.3 with Quadra 650 through Basilisk II. The point is, I'm trying to install and configure the Macintalk extension. I dont know much about installing them, but I found already a library of available exentions in System folder about 110 of these things. Every time I'm trying to run one, OS tells me that I need to place the file into the Extensions folder and restart the machine.

So yeah, any help would be appreciated,

have a nice day/night.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Getting Macintalk working on MacOS 7.5.3

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

debil082 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:27 amEvery time I'm trying to run one, OS tells me that I need to place the file into the Extensions folder and restart the machine.
That is the way you install an extension. The extensions inside the Extensions folder are already installed.

You do not "run" extensions separately. The installed extensions are loaded when the Mac is started and provide extended functionality to the OS.
debil082
Space Cadet

Post by debil082 »

Okay, I shouldn't be using files from Extension folder, so is there a way to make Macintalk say out my custom text?
Thanks for replying.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

I do not know if MacinTalk works in the emulator, but you can try.

I suppose your host system is Windows.
Which version of MacinTalk do you have? Where did you download it? In what format is the download (archive, disk image)?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Tried MacinTalk 3 (v 1.4) downloaded from Macintosh Repository and it works fine in BasiliskII.

The download is a stuffit archive. Normally you cannot expand Mac archives directly in Windows, because the resulting Mac files will have lost their resource fork and thus become unusable, but this is an archived disk image so it should be no problem to expand it using Stuffit Expander for Windows. You can add the resulting "macintalk3.img" to the volumes list in the BasiliskII GUI. In BasiliskII it will then appear as a "Macintalk Temp" disk on the desktop.
It contains a ReadMeFirst!, a folder "Into Extensions", and a SimpleText application.

First read the ReadMeFirst.
The folder "Into Extensions" contains two extensions and a folder with voices. Copy (drag) the two extensions and the folder with voices into the Extensions folder in the System Folder. That will install MacinTalk.
You can copy the ReadMe to your virtual HD for reference.
No need to do anything with the SimpleText, because you already have SimpleText installed.

After you installed MacinTalk, shut down BasiliskII. Remove the "macintalk3.img" from the volumes list in the GUI.
The next time BasiliskII runs, MacinTalk will be functional.
debil082
Space Cadet

Post by debil082 »

Sorry for not mentioning that I'm Windows user on the first place.
I'll check that later, unfortunately I got stuff to do. Thanks for guide posted above, I hope that will be key to my problem,

wish you a great evening.
debil082
Space Cadet

Post by debil082 »

So, it took me a month to get some free time and will and I finally got into this.
Installation was really quick, everything went fine. I had to figure out how SimpleText works and I find out the option bar up the OS.
MacinTalk now works great! Thank you for all the help.

Also, huge respect how You all keep this project for long time and still be ambitious about it.
Thread can be now closed, thanks again.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

debil082 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:17 am I had to figure out how SimpleText works and I find out the option bar up the OS.
In Windows, the menu bars are at the top of the windows.
On a Mac (from 1984 till now) the menu bar is always at the top of the screen. The menus and menu items change to the ones belonging to the application that is in front.