A super PowerBook 550c for $99.00

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

ebann
Tinkerer

A super PowerBook 550c for $99.00

Post by ebann »

How it’s nice to live in 2021! Finished my little side project... Fully loaded Mac OS 7.6.1 running on a Acer Chromebook 11 N7 (C731). I just love the attention I get at the local coffee shop while working on some document in Word 6.

emendelson
Forum All-Star

Re: A super PowerBook 550c for $99.00

Post by emendelson »

That looks wonderful! Could you give us a step-by-step procedure for making it happen? (I know I'm asking you to spend even more time on this, but I think it would be a very popular topic.)
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Now you need to deck it out with some rainbow Apple stickers, remove the Intel sticker, and get something to cover up the Acer logo ;)
ebann
Tinkerer

Post by ebann »

emendelson wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:48 pm That looks wonderful! Could you give us a step-by-step procedure for making it happen? (I know I'm asking you to spend even more time on this, but I think it would be a very popular topic.)
I did just that for others, even if it is a little convoluted because as I try and retry I sometimes find a better way of doing things and I just write it up on my blog. I need to polish the text a little and leave the miscellaneous or obsolete info at the end. It’s in six parts.

http://ekbann.blogspot.com/2020/03/ace ... dware.html
ebann
Tinkerer

Post by ebann »

adespoton wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:03 pm Now you need to deck it out with some rainbow Apple stickers, remove the Intel sticker, and get something to cover up the Acer logo ;)
You read my mind! Definitely a rainbow Apple logo...
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

ebann wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:06 pm
adespoton wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:03 pm Now you need to deck it out with some rainbow Apple stickers, remove the Intel sticker, and get something to cover up the Acer logo ;)
You read my mind! Definitely a rainbow Apple logo...
Stick it on the back of the monitor... your choice as to whether you place it so it's upright when open like modern Macs, or upside-down when open like some PowerBooks had :)
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

ebann wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:05 pm
emendelson wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:48 pm That looks wonderful! Could you give us a step-by-step procedure for making it happen? (I know I'm asking you to spend even more time on this, but I think it would be a very popular topic.)
I did just that for others, even if it is a little convoluted because as I try and retry I sometimes find a better way of doing things and I just write it up on my blog. I need to polish the text a little and leave the miscellaneous or obsolete info at the end. It’s in six parts.

http://ekbann.blogspot.com/2020/03/ace ... dware.html
Terrific - thank you!
ebann
Tinkerer

Post by ebann »

I created a script that fully automates the installation and configuration plus the compilation of SDL2 and BasiliskII for X.org. You can find it here:

https://github.com/ekbann/chromebook-basilisk2-sdl2

If you have the American keyboard version, edit the script to remove the keyboard configuration lines. Let me know if you have any questions.
ebann
Tinkerer

Post by ebann »

Added the latest google-chrome installation to the script.

Works very fast under Debian but is, unfortunately, outside of BasiliskII. Small price to pay I'd say... better than running Classilla and older browsers.
ebann
Tinkerer

Post by ebann »

Not really the best work but looks better than before!

I tried toothpaste to remove the “Acer” silkscreen logo to no avail. I am open to recommendations.

adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Looks pretty good to me....
Have you found a way to get the integrated camera to do anything? I'd guess not, since BII can't use USB. But maybe the host can use it in the background and send the pictures to the shared folder :)
ebann
Tinkerer

Post by ebann »

adespoton wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:18 pm Looks pretty good to me....
Have you found a way to get the integrated camera to do anything? I'd guess not, since BII can't use USB. But maybe the host can use it in the background and send the pictures to the shared folder :)
Here’s an idea: create a server Linux-side that “serves” image captures from the webcam and audio. Mac-side create a cliente that connects to the server via TCP/IP. Won’t be integrated with other Mac applications but it’s a way to get access to webcam.