Boot failure after crash

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

runebrink
Space Cadet

Boot failure after crash

Post by runebrink »

HI

Totally new to Basilisk but it runs smooth and im ready to start working, and can't wait!

My problem is the software I use (Strata Studio Pro) crashes Mac os regulary, which means i have to force quit Basilisk, which apparently results in a corrupted emulator hard-drive so i have to reinstall and make a new harddrive every time, not optimal....

What solution can i use to hard-reset the emulated basilisk mac instead of force quitting basilisk? And would this help not corrupting the mac os 7.5.3 install every time it crashes?

Im running performa 900 on Mac os Mojave

Thanks
Rune
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Boot failure after crash

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

No way to "reset" the emulated machine (just like it used to be with the real hardware). The hard-drive corruption may be caused by the crash or by the hard shutdown or both.

If you regularly make a copy of the hard-drive image file when it is not yet corrupted, you can simply replace the corrupted image file with the latest working copy. Make the backup copies while BasiliskII is not running.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

It seems strata studio 1.x? requires fpu emulation to function on an m68k machine.
What settings do you use for the JIT compiler and ignore illegal memory access etc?

Have you tried newer versions with SheepShaver?

Best,
Cat_7
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Cat_7 is right. Maybe stability could be improved with different settings for BasiliskII. If you post here the contents of the hidden file .basilisk_ii_prefs in your Home folder, we can easily check your settings.

(Macintosh Garden does not mention compatibility of Strata Studio Pro 1.x with BasiliskII. They do, however, indicate that Strata Studio Pro 2.5 can be used in SheepShaver.)