Need Help - Stuffit expander won't work, so I'm stuck!!!

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Erik

Need Help - Stuffit expander won't work, so I'm stuck!!!

Post by Erik »

Help! I'm using Basilisk II. Got it working. Now, I'd like to expand .bin and .hqx files. I need stuffit expander to do this. Unfortunately, stuffit expander is an .hqx file. I need stuffit expander to install stuffit expander! Worse, I somehow got my file types messed up and when I click on an .hqx file, I end up with some other program (I believe it's a sound recording/playing program). I'm all messed up. Someone please help so I can start actually USING the mac emulator!

Thanks,

Erik
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

chicken... egg... chicken... egg... bwahahahahahaa
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

Use HFVExplorer to move the Expander I have on my Quick Stop page. It will automatically debinhex the file leaving you with the bare Expander installer: http://mes.emuunlim.com/quick/index.htm

For help using HFVExplorer, this page might help: http://mes.emuunlim.com/macemu/basilisk ... ying75.htm
Erik

ARRGH! Still won't work!

Post by Erik »

Thanks for the help BUT

When I run the program I downloaded from you, I get a message: "Document could not be opened because application that created it could not be found."
If I use HFV explorere to open the file to get "stuffit expander installer" and then open THAT in Basilisk II, I get "cannot open, exceeded maximum possible length" because .hqx files point to a notepad program for some reason.
HELP! I am pulling my hair out!!!!

P.S. Will installing OS 8 fix these problems? Does Stuffit expander come included in that OS?

-Erik.

P.P.S. I'd be REALLY happy if someone knowledgable would be willing to trade phone numbers so I could have someone talk me through this problem if all else fails.
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

Transfering aladdin_expander_55_install.hqx into a hard drive file using HFVExplorer should automatically unbinhex the file leaving "Aladdin Expander(tm) 5.5 Installer" ready to be run inside of Basilisk II.
All.

Re: Need Help - Stuffit expander won't work, so I'm stuck!!!

Post by All. »

Erik wrote:I believe it's a sound recording/playing program. I'm all messed up. Someone please help so I can start actually USING the mac emulator!
It's a good thing you weren't trying to use SoftMac. You need to make sure you have HFVExplorer actually set to decode the hqx files, or it won't do it. I don't know if that's the default. Once you get a working configuration, you should burn it to a CD, in case you ever wanna reinstall the emulator and use it (for whatever odd reason that might be).