ethernet & old softwares

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Trotter

ethernet & old softwares

Post by Trotter »

I need the program "remote access" to connect to the ethernet using basilisk II and mac OS 8.1 performa, but where can I find it?
Is that another way to connect to ethernet without this thing??
And where can I find old versions of good softwares like dreamweaver or photoshop??
rob_squared
Carpe Nox

Post by rob_squared »

There's a "nat" feature on the newest build (non-JIT) that should let you do it. And "remote access" is a program that allows you to access your mac desktop from another location. Hence its not needed to get online.

Post by Guest »

rob_squared wrote:And "remote access" is a program that allows you to access your mac desktop from another location. Hence its not needed to get online.
Wrong. You're thinking of Remote Desktop. ARA is the catch-all dialup/telephony system for classic MacOS. Primarily, PPP and direct AppleTalk dialup connections fall under Apple Remote Access. Nice try, though.

For the record, Remote Access isn't a "program," per-se. It should be installed along with the OS. You should see it in your control panels folder if you didn't explicitly cut down the install.
All.

Post by All. »

Should have read the first post a bit more carefully before I posted mine. That stuff still stands, but as I said, ARA's for dialup stuff. You don't need to worry about ARA, since you want to use ethernet, not dial up from the Mac. Make sure you set up Basilisk properly to bind to yu0r ETHARWEB (I'll defer the explanation of that process to people who actually use B2 for something). Then you should go into the TCP/IP control panel and select ethernet built-in (I'm betting you currently have it set to PPP, and it's trying to use ARA to establish a dialup connection). I am also guessing that B2's NAT engine also serves as a DHCP server to the Mac environment, so just select configure using DHCP. It should work once you do that.