Graphic errors, JIT only

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

-=AgV=-
Space Cadet

Graphic errors, JIT only

Post by -=AgV=- »

When using any JIT-build of Basilisk II in Windows XP, the graphics look like this:

Non-JIT builds work, but are much slower. With the JIT-build I can actually play back 640x480 MOV-files, without JIT I get about 1fps ;)

The funny thing is that I tried the linux version (in Suse 9.1), and JIT works, but is very slow, much slower than non JIT-versions :rolleyes:

So, Windows seems to be the best OS for Basilisk II when it comes to performance, but how do I get rid of the ugly graphics?

System specs:
Abit IS7 motherboard (i865)
Pentium 4 2.6GHz, 800MHz FSB
512MB A-data DDR450
200GB WD-SATA, 80GB Samsung IDE
Audigy 2 Platinum eX

I've tried 0.8, 0.9 and 1.0 versions of "JIT-basilisk".
Last edited by -=AgV=- on Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stephen Coates
Expert User

Post by Stephen Coates »

What settings are in your BasiliskII setup?
You may just have to change a few things round to get it to work properly.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Can't see the picture you linked to, but i am guessing you have vertical stripes through your screen?

If so, you should use another build of basilisk II for windows and they will disappear.

Cat_7
-=AgV=-
Space Cadet

Post by -=AgV=- »

Cat_7 wrote:Can't see the picture you linked to, but i am guessing you have vertical stripes through your screen?

If so, you should use another build of basilisk II for windows and they will disappear.

Cat_7
Thanks, there were two 0.9 builds, one of them worked better. Now the stripes are gone, but the graphics in wolfenstein 3D are still corrupted (even worse), and when surfing in Internet Explorer 4, basilisk sometimes crash.

Well, at least it's better ;)

Why are the Linux builds slow with JIT enabled?
FridayChild
Student Driver

Post by FridayChild »

I always had the same problem with JIT. Please, where do I download this alternate build that is immune to the corrupt display problem? I have tried this one http://gwenole.beauchesne.online.fr/bas ... loads.html
(latest build, april 2001) with no luck. Vertical stripes and garbage.
And another thing: to me, the JIT version has always seemed slower than the non-JIT. I am running Windows XP, PIV 2.8 GHz.
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

Do you have Windows XP Themes enabled? That causes graphics problems under Basilisk II.

Could you either attach or copy\paste the contents of the BasiliskIIprefs file inside your Basilisk II directory? I believe you may not be using the correct BasiliskIIGUI for JIT, plus I can see if your prefs have any known configuration setting problems.
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

FridayChild wrote:And another thing: to me, the JIT version has always seemed slower than the non-JIT. I am running Windows XP, PIV 2.8 GHz.
I'm happy. Just installed Fedora native (finally not an emulated machine). It's so fast compared to what it was in VPC, And it looks great.
Now to the point: I tryied Basilisk II (on linux of course) today and got to the same conclusion: running it non-JIT works faster! how can that be?
gb
Real Swell Guy!

Post by gb »

You most likely misconfigured B2 JIT prefs on the Linux side. Since the Windows version is ancient, it used different options than current B2/JIT code on Linux.

For the graphics problem, you really ought to try recent enough code from CVS. Latest changes to the JIT dates back to Oct-2003.
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

gb wrote:You most likely misconfigured B2 JIT prefs on the Linux side. Since the Windows version is ancient, it used different options than current B2/JIT code on Linux.

For the graphics problem, you really ought to try recent enough code from CVS. Latest changes to the JIT dates back to Oct-2003.
Isn't there a patch I can apply to the current source to make it JIT? Or generate a patch from the JIT build?
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

IMO, a properly configured Basilisk II JIT may seem a little slower at first, due to the JIT process busy optimizing things. But if real world benchtests are run, Basilisk II JIT wins in every test except against Executor decompressing a BinHex file.

http://mes.emuunlim.com/benchtests/newtests/index.htm
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

So, if I want the basic interface to work quickly, I would use the standard build, and if I want the CPU to work quickly, I would use the JIT build. Got it. Thanks.
FridayChild
Student Driver

Post by FridayChild »

I'm still waiting for someone to post a link to download a recent build of the JIT version for Windows
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

FridayChild wrote:I'm still waiting for someone to post a link to download a recent build of the JIT version for Windows
I don't believe one exists.
FridayChild
Student Driver

Post by FridayChild »

AgV is using Windows. Cat_7 said "get another build". AgV said "there were two, and the second one worked". Well, I only found ONE build and it doesn't work.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hello,

There are the, I believe, 1.42 and 1.41 builds. The 1.41 build doesn't give graphic errors.
and maybe there are even two different 1.42 builds

look here:
http://gwenole.beauchesne.online.fr/bas ... loads.html

or here for the non-jit versions
http://www.nic.fi/~lpesonen/BasiliskII/

Cat_7
gb
Real Swell Guy!

Post by gb »

Arggh, sorry, I have not noticed people were speaking about the Windows version. Basilisk II is Open Source, so if people are willing to port it to Windows, they are welcome.

Anyhow, there is to be a new B2/JIT snapshot for Linux since the JIT now works on x86_64 too.
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

gb wrote:Anyhow, there is to be a new B2/JIT snapshot for Linux since the JIT now works on x86_64 too.
What do you mean 'snapshot', isn't there a CVS server for B2/JIT? Why would people use snapshots when there is a CVS server?
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

I would think it's mainly for people who have problems compiling from CVS and just want to run Basilisk II on Linux without development packages being installed. Plus it's a build set in stone which can be widely used and serve as a comparison to later CVS builds. Probably other reasons too.

http://gwenole.beauchesne.online.fr/bas ... files/?M=D
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

Mac Emu wrote:and serve as a comparison to later CVS builds
Can't you retrieve an older set of source files from a CVS server? As far as I know, it saves old versions, however I have never used this feature.
wiebeest
Tinkerer

Post by wiebeest »

Mac Emu wrote:Do you have Windows XP Themes enabled? That causes graphics problems under Basilisk II.
That, or could it be perhaps that you are using WindowBlinds?
It causes havoc in PearPC, so maybe also in Basalisk II?
I know WB has a per application setting, so that you can tell the GUI skinning program to just not skin Basalisk II.
gb
Real Swell Guy!

Post by gb »

I can confirm that -=AgV=- bug was fixed in Linux builds long ago. This was caused because he uses a Pentium4-based core and condition codes handling in BSF instruction processing changed.

I have just committed an improved variation, with less register wastage (i.e. faster), from Amithlon to CVS.

The 64-bit JIT is now also working slightly faster than before, provided you have POSIX shared memory support (e.g. /dev/shm is mounted).
-=AgV=-
Space Cadet

Post by -=AgV=- »

Update:

JIT in WinXP works perfect, after replacing my FX5900 with a new 6800GT.

It's very strange, but I'm not complaining, as long as it works :cool:

The speed is quite impressive. Try playing Wolfenstein 3D without the speed limiter, it's impossible.