WARNING - Mac OS 8 CD Install Bug

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

The Balance Of Judgement
Apple Corer

WARNING - Mac OS 8 CD Install Bug

Post by The Balance Of Judgement »

Based on what I can tell, various copies of the Mac OS 8 CD Installer are floating around online. If you happen to run across one of these image files, please treat it with care since some files on it are currupted and will damage the file system on your Macintosh if not dealt with properly.

So far I have managed to track it down to a defective control panel. "General Controls"

I will be looking into the matter more. So far with what i've experienced, there is no way to fix the errors created on the disks other than formatting them. So, before you format them, be sure to have another disk ready to copy files to for temporary backup. If the disk is damaged beyond repair, try and locate a copy of Norton Utilities as that will fix the problem so you can at least save files.

If you decide to install Mac OS 8 from the install CD, the best way to do it is to create a blank disk copy image and install on that. Then you can move the files manually over and remove the control panel to prevent damage. If you boot from the drive it will cause damage. (After installing Mac OS on a ID 0 disk will always prompt for a reboot, hence the disk image)

Hope this helps, and i will be posting updates if i find anything else.

Citon x600