Mac OS 8.5 .. can it run on Basilisk II?

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

dragonfly
Student Driver

Mac OS 8.5 .. can it run on Basilisk II?

Post by dragonfly »

I have an old Quadra 650, and have just installed Basilisk II .. then System 7.5.3 .. on Win XP Pro.

Then I tried installing Mac OS 8.5 .. but it seems that this OS will not run on the QUADRA.ROM.
When trying the OS 8.5 installer from CD I get this popup warning ..

"This program cannot run on your computer. see the documentation for more information."

Is this correct .. or can OS 8.5 run in Basilisk?

I read at the SoftMac site this
.. use the recent versions found on the Mac OS 8.1, Mac OS 8.5, and Mac OS 8.0 CD-ROMs. Yes, I said 9.0.
(I think he meant "Mac OS 9.0").

But can Mac OS 8.5 run on Quadra 650 in Basilisk II .. or do I need a separate PPC ROM image?
Stephen Coates
Expert User

Post by Stephen Coates »

MacOS 8.5 will not work on BasiliskII no matter what ROM you have, because it requires a PPC processor, and BasiliskII only emulates a 68k processor. MacOS 8.1 is the latest MacOS version supported by BasiliskII.

BTW, just in case you didn't already know, you can run MacOS 8.5 on SheepShaver as that emulates a PPC.
dragonfly
Student Driver

Post by dragonfly »

BTW, just in case you didn't already know, you can run MacOS 8.5 on SheepShaver as that emulates a PPC.
Thanks .. I'm learning as I browse the forum.

Does SheepShaver use the MAC OS ROM in the Mac OS 8.5 installation disk .. (I don't have a physical PPC)?

I tried importing this ROM into Basilisk but the checksums did not match.

I'll try SheepShaver now.
Stephen Coates
Expert User

Post by Stephen Coates »

SheepShaver will work with the ROM on the MacOS 8.5 and 8.6 CD, just remember that you will need to extract it in BasiliskII using TomeViewer. There's more information about this in the SheepShaver forum.
Good Luck :)