File Sharing Basilisk II on windows XP & separate OSX ma

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

barrystein
Inquisitive Elf

File Sharing Basilisk II on windows XP & separate OSX ma

Post by barrystein »

I have Basilisk II installed on a windows XP laptop.
I am trying to move files from my separate OSX machine to the Basilisk on the lap top.

I tried moving some old More II files onto the PC hardisk. Moving them to the PC side changes the structure of the file and Basilisk cannot open them.

Is there any way to share files directly between the Basilisk on the XP laptop and my separate OSX machine.
Both have internet and can share files - the OSx and the XP laptop
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

Does Mac OS X have AppleTalk?
barrystein
Inquisitive Elf

Post by barrystein »

Yes OSX has apple talk
The Balance Of Judgement
Apple Corer

Post by The Balance Of Judgement »

I don't know the specifics of your Mac OS X installation but Appletalk support in X is somewhat sketchy in regards to being compatible with Classic Appletalk. If you install ShareWay 3 on your Basilisk/68K Mac OS X will see the shared Volume as an AppleTalkIP Server and you have access no problem.

But if it's plain regular Classic file sharing, you might have a problem. There are hacks available for certian versions of OS X that allow it to fully support Classic Appletalk, but I'm not sure where.

Failing that, if both your XP Laptop and Mac OS X machine are on the same IP Subnet, you can just run a hotline server on your 68K/Basilisk II and then use the Mac OS X to dump files that way. A great client for Mac OS X is FrogBlast. Hotline supports resource forks so you can create folders and drag and drop files as you please.

The only other option is if you have Stuffit Expander on your Mac OS X machine and BinHex or MacBinary stuffed files so nothing important is lost. You can then burn those files to CD or send to your Windows Box without a worry and unstuff them in Basilisk.
barrystein
Inquisitive Elf

Post by barrystein »

Thanks for the heads up on that program.

Although so far I have not been able to get an internet connection for Basilisk to work.

If the internet connection doesn't work (trying to use the router function) should I assume that shareway 3 won't work for me either.
barrystein
Inquisitive Elf

Post by barrystein »

The main thing I want to be able to do is to mount a shared folder brom the Basilisk on my OSX,
that way I can sync the files using a sync program.

But my current ROM file doesn't support apple talk - so I guess I ahve to get a better ROM file,

if I can get apple talk to work, will ShareWay 3 allow me to mount a shared folder on my OSX machine?
barrystein
Inquisitive Elf

Post by barrystein »

Does the ethernet option have to be turned on for apple talk to work
will apple talk work with the router function
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

AppleTalk will not work via the NAT\Router. It requires using the Ethernet drivers for Windows and two network cards (NICs).

BTW, it is possible to do it with only one NIC. You would have to release the card by using the ipconfig /release, then launching Basilisk II (setup for Ethernet). The only problem is, Windows loses Internet access while Basilisk II is running. And an ipconfig /renew is required in Windows when done using Basilisk II.
barrystein
Inquisitive Elf

Post by barrystein »

But I assume the ROM has to be able to work with apple talk,

the ROM I have, under the memory tab says it won't work with apple talk.

do you know which Rom will run apple talk