seting up for internet crashes bailisk

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

barrystein
Inquisitive Elf

Post by barrystein »

well that just made it even more unstable.

so are you saying I need to get a better ROM

what ROM would you suggest

will the IIvx in the garage help?
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

Sorry to hear of your bad luck. The Mac IIvx supposedly has a 1 MB ROM image, so it might be worth a try. But the IIvx's 68030 processor worries me on how much better that ROM image may be. Keep your fingers crossed. :wink:
barrystein
Inquisitive Elf

Post by barrystein »

well how do I get the rom image?

but besides that - I might as well just get the best ROM I can and have a good mac on my pc laptop.

What ROM would you suggest getting, what are you top choices...

I'd like to be able to access the internet, and connect via apple talk to my osx machine, and do ftp

is there a list of suggested rom's somewhere?
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

PS: I just remembered something about when using a 512kb ROM with Basilisk II should be set to a 68030 processor. I did a search on another forum and see that I posted this a couple of years ago.

"MacTCP is used on older 68020 and 68030 Macs using older System software. It works via "classic networking". Newer 68030 and 68040 Macs used Open Transport networking (TCP/IP, etc.) which provides both an easier way to configure dial-up and Ethernet networking along with a noticable speed increase ... as long as the processor can handle it.

On Basilisk II, people using 512 Kb ROM images are better off using the older MacTCP classic networking as Open Transport is not always stable on older 68030 Macs and it slows the entire system down. In fact, Lauri says that 68030 emulation using Basilisk II is not complete ... he pretty much jumped from 68020 to 68040 emulation without completing the 68030."
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

I bought (and have) a bunch of 68k Macs off eBay and a local Mac repair shop. My Quadra 610 ROM works great, but my Quadra 700 ROM has a number of quirks like not supporting AppleTalk under Basilisk II. I also have a LC, LC II and (had) a Performa 450. My Mac IIcx is currently not working.

PS: Someone has a webpage on how to capture the ROM here: http://mes.emuunlim.com/tips/capturing_ ... _image.htm
barrystein
Inquisitive Elf

Post by barrystein »

it worked

I set the model id to 5 Mac IIci
cpu to 68030
and turned off apple talk - since the ROM message said apple talk wasn't supported.

Now I just have to shop for a ROM that will support apple talk

thanks for all your help
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

Whew! Glad you got it working. :lol:

(Now I remember to set the Model ID to 5. Thanks for the refresher.)

Most Quadras except the 660av, 700, and 900 seem to have OK 1 MB ROM images. I don't know what other Model people are using ROMs from successfully.
barrystein
Inquisitive Elf

Post by barrystein »

do you know which ones support apple talk the best.

My main need is apple talk.

I have a large number of files that I need to sync
The main thing I want to be able to do is to mount a shared folder from the Basilisk on my OSX,
that way I can sync the files using a sync program.

But my current ROM file doesn't support apple talk - so I guess I ahve to get a better ROM file,
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

My Quadra 610's ROM image file allows me to use AppleTalk. My Quadra 700's ROM doesn't.

All other people can do is post whether their Mac's ROM image supports AppleTalk under Basilisk II.

Someone is selling a Quadra 610 on eBay, but it's too expensive.