cant get it working...

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

VIPER168

cant get it working...

Post by VIPER168 »

I downloaded a package off kazaa since my rom image didnt want to work, it included one, but it was german, otherwise it worked fine. I looked and found 3 other rom images but its still in german when i run it from the package i downloaded. So i downloaded basilisk and told it to run the best looking rom of the 4 (two were incompatible) like lcIII or something, and when its run for the fresh installed basilisk it just shows me a disk with a ? blinking in it. None of the roms actually go, its just the same disk with a blinking ?.

Any ideas?
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Have you loaded your disk image by any chance? Does it have the MacOS installed on it?
VIPER168

erm

Post by VIPER168 »

you mean the .HFV file? if so, umm, yeah I guess...
VIPER168

ok..

Post by VIPER168 »

I think there is something wrong with my MacOS.HFV file, would there be any possible chance at all that someone could link me to a working one? I would be very appreciative if you could.
VIPER168
Space Cadet

Neeeeever mind

Post by VIPER168 »

I found the basilisk guide, i would rather have at least OS 8 but I guess i'll do with 7.5.3..... I'll come back when im done and tell you the results.
VIPER168
Space Cadet

hrm

Post by VIPER168 »

I knew it wouldnt go smoothly...

I got the HFV of the installer made and everything
I added the boot disk and the installer hfv, changed the id to Mac IIfx and ran it.
I got in fine and it ran smoothly, but I got the "Bad F-Line Instruction" error and it told me to uncheck the FPU option, so I exited and unchecked it then restarted it.
It was extremely slower that before, it was almost impossible to navigate in it.
I managed to get to the apple installer and when I tried to change that box in the top corner from "easy installation" to "custom installation", all it did was pop up and show the options and blinked "easy installation" then closed the selection box.

I tried and tried different things but could never actually select "custom installation" im sure it dont help that it was moving at lesst than helpful speeds.

If anyone could please help me here, I would be grateful.
VIPER168
Space Cadet

bah

Post by VIPER168 »

Yet another turn of events, I got it working now... not sure what I did differently but I must have done something. Im definetly burning this setup onto a cd so i dont have to go through the trouble again.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Excellent!
VIPER168
Space Cadet

hrmff

Post by VIPER168 »

Ok, so i got into my mac emu and installed stuffit etc... but when I try and run escape velocity I get a big ol white window with a hand on it, saying

"Sorry, an error occured while trying to open the monitor tool
ID = -3"

please help me!
VIPER168
Space Cadet

GAH

Post by VIPER168 »

Well, again, i've fixed that problem, but now i want to get EV Override to run, but its horribly slow. Is there anything I can do?

Also, I hear there are issues with EV nova, once i get 8.1 installed instead of this 7.5.3 i will need that.

But for right now help on override would be appreciated.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Assign a lot or RAM to your emulator, and then, within the MacOS, increase the maximum and minimum ammounts of RAM that EV:O gets.

In the game, hit CAPS LOCK to double the game speed.

You can fiddle with the "priorities" tab in the Basilisk II GUI to increase speed some.

It will be very slow in general, however.
VIPER168
Space Cadet

Hrm

Post by VIPER168 »

I upgraded to macos 8.1 but now it is in black and white when the colors are at 256, any higher EV wont run. Any way to fix this? I have 7.5.3 backed up so I didnt lose anything.
rob_squared
Carpe Nox

Post by rob_squared »

I believe you have to go to the monitors control panel and it should show you a choice between 256 colors and greys, select colors. For some reasn every time you install 8.0 or 8.1 it will set it to grey automatically. If its not the monitors control it should be colors or something similar.
VIPER168
Space Cadet

thanks

Post by VIPER168 »

It worked, now what up with the nova issue?
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

To run Nova make sure you have the patch that Lauri made:

http://gamma.nic.fi/~lpesonen/BasiliskII/

You won't be able to use Basilisk II JIT to play Nova. Just the regular version.
VIPER168
Space Cadet

ok

Post by VIPER168 »

And how do i go about assigning more ram to basilisk? I've got EVO to run alright but I feel EVN will pose a problem.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Open up the B2 GUI and go to the MEMORY tab.