New BasiliskII Ethernet Support

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Cat_7
Expert User

New BasiliskII Ethernet Support

Post by Cat_7 »

GB has just uploaded new files to cvs enabling BasiliskII to use the slirp ethernet stack from the qemu project.

For us, simple users, this means no more hassle with tun/tap devices and etherconfig scripts, because slirp contains a DHCP server on its own. Just set "ether" to "slirp" in your BasiliskII_prefs file or use the gui. And set Mac OS to use DHCP to configure ethernet.

Networking was instantainiously available!

One downside, at least on my machine: after trying to load this forum with ie4 to tell you all the happy news, BasiliskII crashed. It now can't boot from the hd-image anymore :cry: The folder "system" in the system folder corrupted! lucky me for always having a spare HD-image
Does this mean something is rotten in the kingdom of Denmark (due to slirp)?

I did notice some IE related files in the bin. The cache and cache.lock files were there. I know IE is not to be trusted, but I served me rather well in the other ethernet setup with tun/etherconfig. Second time around things went a little better, I could surf the net a bit longer and crashes were not so destructive. But the speed (i'm on a 2/1 Mbit line) was rather bad compared to the prevoius setup.

Edit: last experience with connecting to my w2003 server with appleshare: the connection is made, but stalls when getting the filelist for the folder.

Cat_7
CFran2
Mac Mechanic

Post by CFran2 »

oh thats cool cuz i never could make it work with that tun/tap driver shit. too bad that i cant use the newest Basilisk builds because it's still blackscreening.
Cat_7
Expert User

Update

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

After the 05-21-2005 CVS update, networking with slirp has become more stable, but still very slow compared to the tap/tun solution.

Cat_7
macmax
Student Driver

how to get slirp

Post by macmax »

How do I get the easy solution in the 0.9 JIT version? for the past 2 days I have tried to configure the emulated ac to connect via ethernet with no success. can someone please help me?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

It's only available in the Linux version and you have to build it yourself.

Cat_7