Mac OS 8.1 won't boot with extensions on

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

SSS
Granny Smith

Mac OS 8.1 won't boot with extensions on

Post by SSS »

In Mac OS 8.1, I was browsing the internet with iCab, then all of a sudden I got a type 3 error. I reran iCab (shouldn't have done that :oops: ), and then it froze. I had to force shut down iCab. When I booted up Basilisk II again, it won't boot with extensions on. Once it gets to "Starting Up..." it freezes. :cry: I can boot with extensions off, just not with them on. I booted up with another disk, ran Disk First Aid, it found errors, repaired them, but it did not fix. :( Anyone have ideas how to fix this?

EDIT: I fixed it. Deleted the PRAM file. Booted up, would boot fine. Shut it down, would not boot. Deleted PRAM again. Would boot. Shut down, would boot. :)
casaubon
Student Driver

Post by casaubon »

i know, that this seems perfectly obvious, but try holding space down while booting (or boot with no extensions and open the extensions manager control panel), then disable appleshare.

i had this problem with sheepshaver too..

on the other hand, could you explain, what to do with open transport extensions, because they are needed for networking, and my basiliskii with os 8.1 cannot boot with them turned on..
SSS
Granny Smith

Post by SSS »

I don't think it has something to do with the AppleShare client, because I get no problems with the exact same version of the client on my Mac OS 7.6 HDF.

As far as the OT extensions, if you need them, you can just hold space until the Starting Up bar moves. It will boot up, at least that's what works for me. :)

And you can't just press the space bar at any time, like at the "Welcome to Mac OS" greeting. You have to press the space bar exactly when the Happy Mac icon appears until extensions start marching at the bottom. Since Basilisk II runs very fast, it can be tricky at times to press that when the icon appears because it goes by so fast. :wink:

Also, how can I smooth edges of screen fonts in Basilisk II?
casaubon
Student Driver

Post by casaubon »

sorry, i thought that was the problem.. :p

as for screen font smoothing, i belive it is located in the appearance control panel.
SSS
Granny Smith

Post by SSS »

casaubon wrote:as for screen font smoothing, i belive it is located in the appearance control panel.
It isn't. I looked in there. :(
casaubon
Student Driver

Post by casaubon »

sorry, i thought so. currently i do not have os 8.1 installed. i use 7.5.5 for basiliskii. maybe somebody else can help..
SSS
Granny Smith

Post by SSS »

SSS wrote:Also, how can I smooth edges of screen fonts in Basilisk II?
Anyone know how I can do this in Mac OS 8.1?
SSS
Granny Smith

Post by SSS »

SSS wrote:Anyone know how I can do this in Mac OS 8.1?
I found it. You need a control panel called "SmoothType", downloadable from http://kaleidoscope.net/greg/ :)