Mac OS 7.6.1 won't work

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

SSS
Granny Smith

Mac OS 7.6.1 won't work

Post by SSS »

I recently upgraded Mac OS 7.6 to 7.6.1, but when I booted from the HFV, I got this error:

Not enough memory is available while using

To temporarily turn off extensions, restart and hold down the shift key.

I tried doing that, no such luck. I even replaced the Finder with the Finder from 7.5.5, but still, I get that message. :(

Is there a certain enabler or extension that is missing, or am I having an Extensions conflict?
SSS
Granny Smith

Post by SSS »

Anyone know how to fix this?
Stephen Coates
Expert User

Post by Stephen Coates »

Try increasing the mac's memory in the baskiliskII GUI.
SSS
Granny Smith

Post by SSS »

Stephen Coates wrote:Try increasing the mac's memory in the baskiliskII GUI.
I've tried that, doesn't help. :( It even thinks 100 MB of ram isn't enough. O_o
Stephen Coates
Expert User

Post by Stephen Coates »

Try reinstalling the MacOS.

That's the only thing I can think of.
SSS
Granny Smith

Post by SSS »

Actually, the Mac OS 7.6 copy was on a Disk Tools disk I found online, I just copied it to an HDF and upgraded it to OS 7.6.1. Could that be the problem?
Stephen Coates
Expert User

Post by Stephen Coates »

Probably is. I tried something like that once, but I think it was different version MacOS. It would be better if you had a full version of the macos, rather than just using disk tools. Have you tried using MacOS 7.5? That can be downloaded for free from apples ftp site, and can easily be upgraded to OS7.5.1. I recomend you use that if you can't find a full version of OS7.6
SSS
Granny Smith

Post by SSS »

Stephen Coates wrote:Probably is. I tried something like that once, but I think it was different version MacOS. It would be better if you had a full version of the macos, rather than just using disk tools. Have you tried using MacOS 7.5? That can be downloaded for free from apples ftp site, and can easily be upgraded to OS7.5.1. I recomend you use that if you can't find a full version of OS7.6
Do you have a link to Apple's FTP site, where I can download 7.5 (7.5, not 7.5.x)? I already have Mac OS 7.5.1 already on an HDF, but it's not a full install (7.5 software copied from Network Access disk to HDF, then upgraded to 7.5.1).

EDIT: Nevermind, I found another FTP site which had 7.5 full install:
ftp://dcr.csusb.edu/Macintosh/System/System7_5/
Stephen Coates
Expert User

Post by Stephen Coates »

I can't get onto that site. Is it in about 20 files? If so, don't let anything like winzip, stuffit etc extract them BEFORE you put them on an hard drive file and load it in the mac os.

If you need any help installing it, please read Marc Hofman's guide to using B2 for windows. That should have everything you need to know about installing MacOS 7.5 in B2. If you need any more help, feel free to ask.
SSS
Granny Smith

Post by SSS »

Only 7. And the FTP site works fine for me. :? I've already installed Mac OS 7.5 and upgraded it to 7.5.1 last night, so I don't need the manual. :P
Stephen Coates
Expert User

Post by Stephen Coates »

Glad it worked.

It was a while since I downloaded system 7, so I couldn't remember how many files it was.