Login  •  Register

The time is now: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:24 am

Emaculation wiki  •  Delete all board cookies

Print view Previous topic  |  Next topic
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 7:26 pm 
Granny Smith

Here is a tutorial I made on how to get ont he Internet in Basilisk II using MacTCP (for Mac OS 7.5.2 and lower). I'll post one for Open Transport (Mac OS 7.5.3 and higher) later.

First, you'll need to gather your DNS (Domain Name Server) IP for your Internet connection. On Windows 9x computers, click the Start button, and click Run. Type "winipconfig" (without quotes). Click the "More Info" button. Next to "DNS Server", there is your DNS IP. Write it down (if you have more than one, write all of them down). For Windows NT based OSes, you'll need to go to Start -> Control Panel -> Network Connections. Right-click the connection you're connected with, and click "Status". Click the "Support" tab. Click "Details". In the window that appears, next to "DNS Server" is your DNS IP #. Write it down (if you have more than one, right all of them down).

Figure 1. Network Connection Details:

Next, you'll need to run the Basilisk II GUI. In the GUI, navigate to the Router tab. Make sure your settings match mine:

Figure 2. Basilisk II GUI Router Tab:

Click OK, then run Basilisk II. Click the Apple menu, point to Control Panels, and click "MacTCP". In the window that appears, click "Ethernet". Click "More". Set the "Obtain Address" setting to "Manually". Under "Gateway Address", type "10.0.0.254" (without quotes.). Next to "Class", set it to "C".

For the Domain Name Server info, under "Domain" type the domain of your ISP (e.g bellsouth.net). Under "IP Address", type the DNS number you wrote down earlier (you did do that, right? :wink:). Click the radio button next to it under "Default". Click OK.

Next to "IP Address" in the "MacTCP" window, type 10.0.0.1 for your IP address. Close the MacTCP window. You'll be asked to restart. Restart the Mac OS, run a web browser, and if you configured the settings correctly, your home page should load (after it loads, it is recommended to disable JavaScript, if you don't you'll be bombarded with JS errors.).

Figure 3. Netscape 4.05:
(I do realise it says Class A in that screenshot, but the class needs to be set to Class C. It will change to A, but don't worry about it.)[/b]

Reply with quote Post a reply