problems with BasiliskII and Linux Red Hat 7.3

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

ubure
Space Cadet

problems with BasiliskII and Linux Red Hat 7.3

Post by ubure »

I have tried to compile BasiliskII sources in Linux Red HAt 7.3 but the program does not work: it starts with a black window and then it exit without any message.

The only version I was able to run is an rpm executable from suse 7.3 distribution, which works but it does not contains the ethernet driver sheep_net.o and the attempt to recompile it in RedHat 7.3 ends with errors.

Any suggestion?
rob_squared
Carpe Nox

Post by rob_squared »

RedHat is EVIL!
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

• Try running Basilisk II as a non-root account.
    Run it non-full screen.
    Download the latest Basilisk II or Basilisk II JIT releases. (CVS is best)
Any of these three solutions should solve your problem. I experienced similar problems running Mandrake 8 and RedHat 7.x a few months back. So have a number of Basilisk II Linux users. After discussing this with one of the B2 developers, we discovered that one of the above worked.

PS: The latest Basilisk II builds will no longer run full screen.

Post by Guest »

I have already tried the suggestions

root/ non root account: no difference

I never used full screen

I have tried the last versions.

While I am non able to recompile BasiliskII, I can run it from the Suse distribution, so what I really miss is just the etehrnet driver: sheep_net.o

Does someone has a working copy of it?

Thanks
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

This suggestion is from Chris on the OS Emulation Forum:

"Download Mac On Linux (it's esentually VMWare for PowerPC Linux, included in there is a sheepnet driver that works with the newer kernels. (mol-0.9.65/src/drivers/net) building from there should create a driver module that works."

http://www.maconlinux.org/download.html
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

More information from Chris:

"Basilisik II does not load the sheep netdriver, once you have the object file (sheep.o or sheep_net.o) you need to load it (you will need to be logged in as root to load kernel modules) into the kernel BEFORE running Basilisk II insmod sheep.o (or insmod sheep_net.o) depending on whether you are using the BasiliskII (sheep_net), or mol (sheep) version should do the trick.

also, the device node has to exist. you can either do this using the MAKEDEV script included with either emulator, or manually by running
mknod /dev/sheep_net c 10 198

(creates a device node at /dev/sheep_net that is a character device with a major number of 10 and minor number of 198)."