Is the quadra 650 ROM legal?

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

kikkoman
Master Emulator

Post by kikkoman »

I doubt if it is legal.... i mean take a look at 8-bit Nintendo emulation... you'd still see disclaimers on websites telling you it's illegal for a person to download the rom if they don't already own the real game cartridge..... and that still applies well in to today! And even the 8-bit NES has been around for a LOT longer than the Quadra.

Then again, i'm not big on all of that "legal mumbo-jumbo"... :|
Stephen Coates
Expert User

Post by Stephen Coates »

It is still illegal to use those ROMs.

Regardless of how old it is or what the computer is worth, it is still Apple's property and they decide.

I think you only need to own the ROM chips though, not the whole computer.

I expect lots of people use illegal rom images. It's not like anyone would care if you did (except perhaps apple, but they won't know if you don't tell them). Although LEGALLY you cannot use them.

I have mace but it is stored somewhere in an HD somewhere and I can't be bothered to find it. If you do a search on the forums you may be able to find it. I also think that Mace only works with AppleDouble files, so if the programme isn't appledouble then it won't work.

Mace isn't really finished either and from what I've heard doesn't run much.

If I were you I'd either use the illegal ROM or just get a cheap Mac of some sort from somewhere like ebay.

Or you could try executor. That doesn't need either a rom or macos and is completely legal.
Stephen Coates
Expert User

Post by Stephen Coates »

Executor can be found at http://www.ardi.com
nf>_
Student Driver

Post by nf>_ »

I wonder if its legal to download it if you already have such a machine. I have one in my garage but I'm not too sure if it works and I'm too lazy to find out! :lol:
Stephen Coates
Expert User

Post by Stephen Coates »

Shouldn't be illegal to download it. You just have to have the original rom chip, which in your case, you do.

It's probably illegal to host it on the internet though.

And as I've said before it's not like anyone would care if you did download it.

(but better to be safe than sorry)