sit files and Basilisk II

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Rhetro
Tinkerer

sit files and Basilisk II

Post by Rhetro »

Hello.

I'm trying to figure out how to get Basilisk II to recognize (and or decompress) sit files?

Problem:

I don't know how to get those files decompressed and then what to do with them once they are.

I tried looking it up in the B2help manual, but couldn't find anything on this process.

Again, I'm using a winxp pc with Basilisk II

Thanks in advance!

Rhetro
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

.sit files are stuffit files.

There is still a version for pre osx mac os's available from their site:
http://www.stuffit.com

If I am informed correctly, you might also look for stuffit expander in the installation packages of 7.5.3 It might be contained there as well.

best wishes,
Cat_7
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Stuffit Expander was supplied installed on new Macs for many years (not anymore). I am not sure if it is part of the downloadable 7.5.3 installer. The stuffit format changed several times with new Stuffit versions and a specific version of Stuffit Expander may not be able to expand an archive that was created with a newer Stuffit version. So usually you will want to use the latest version of Stuffit Expander that will run on your system. However, Stuffit 4 archives can not be expanded by any later versions of Stuffit Expander.

Stuffit Expander 4 is the latest version that will work on on 68000 Macs (Plus, SE, Classic) with System 6-7.5.5.

Stuffit Expander 5.5 is the latest version that will work on 680x0 Macs with System 7.1.1-8.1 and will probably work on PPC Macs up to MacOS 9.0.

Stuffit 6 and 7 will only work on PPC Macs, and need (I think) MacOS 8.6 and later.

Stuffit 8, 9 and 10 can be used on MacOSX.

Note that earlier Stuffit version formats become useless when the resource fork is lost.

What to do with .sit files once they are decompressed? That depends on what kind of file it is. Stuffit is only the compression format (like for instance zip), it can contain any sort of file.
Rhetro
Tinkerer

Post by Rhetro »

Hey thanks Ronald! I appreciate the reply!

What about this:

1)Downloading the .sit to my ibook,
2) decompressing them.
3)Burning them to a cd rom.
4)And then opening that cd rom in Basilisk II?
5)copying the files to a folder in Basilisk II?

Thanks in advance!

Rhetro
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

That will work.
Rhetro
Tinkerer

Post by Rhetro »

Thanks Cat_7 !

Thanks Ronald!

I'll give it a shot!!

Rhetro
Rhetro
Tinkerer

Post by Rhetro »

Hey guys.

Well. I downloaded the images and expanded them with stuffit on my Ibook.

burned an image of them on a cd rom

set my basilisk options to mount my D: (cd rom) drive

but nothing came up in the d drive window. It said 0 files on disk or something like that.

I also checked and there is an aladin expander in the starter disk HVF. But no stuffit.

So I may need an older version, or is there something that I'm not enabling in basilisk for the cd rom to read the burned image.

You go through one hurdle and then......aye!!!

Thanks in advance.

Rhetro

P.S. At least I don't have to mess with transfering the files of my Mac Plus.!!!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Rhetro wrote:Well. I downloaded the images and expanded them with stuffit on my Ibook.

burned an image of them on a cd rom
Exactly what are you talking about. Stuffit archives are no images, they can contain (disk) images, but not usually. Which files did you download from where? And what did you burn on the CD?
I also checked and there is an aladin expander in the starter disk HVF. But no stuffit.
Aladdin Expander used to be the name of the Stuffit Expander installer. See what happens when you double-click its icon.
If it installs a version of Stuffit Expander that is older than 5.5, you can use that one to decode the .hqx encoded download of the Stuffit Expander 5.5 installer that can be downloaded from this page:
http://kyscorner.codeccorner.com/macutil.htm
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Rhetro wrote:but nothing came up in the d drive window. It said 0 files on disk or something like that.
The CD can only be read by a Macintosh system older than MacOS 8.1, if it is burned in HFS (Mac OS Standard) file format. The later HFS+ (Mac OS Extended) format can only be read by MacOS 8.1 and later. You should be able to choose from different formats for burning on your iBook.
(A HFS or HFS+ file format cannot be read by Windows without additional software, but I suppose that should not be needed if you only want to read the CD in the virtual Mac in BasiliskII.)
Rhetro
Tinkerer

Post by Rhetro »

Hey Ronald.

OK. I think I'm slowly (ever so slowly) starting to understand some of this.

I like the plan of using the ibook to download everything because that keeps windows xp out of the loop as much as possible, correct? Not only that, but I have a backup of everything I want in case I have to reinstall later i.e. system crash etc.

The files I'm downloading are from a site called Macintosh Garden. It's basically a site of abandonware games that are no longer in circulation (and haven't been for probably a couple of decades!). They are listed alphabetically, and you select which one you want, and they are downloaded in a .sit format. When you decompress them, you get a folder and inside you find the file (with the icon that I would double click on my Mac Plus), and a bunch of extras.

Just to test it out, I downloaded three of the games. I decompressed them with Stuffit on my ibook into 3 separate folders. I created an image drive on my ibook, and placed the three separate folders in the image. Then I burned the image onto a cd rom. The cd rom is what Basilisk couldn't see.

I tried burning the separate folders onto the cd rom, but I suppose that you HAVE to make an image first, right?

I guess I'm suffering from cross-platform syndrome to some extent!!!

I tried creating an image of the starter disk (the one with aladin on it), but Basilisk couldn't see it for some reason when I tried placing it on a volume. I also tried to acces it via (my computer) in Basilisk and it still couldn't see aladin.

I'm a little lost on the version of stuffit that you're talking about. Is the idea to have an older version of stuffit that Basilisk can use? Because I see what you mean about the version of Stuffit on my ibook being too recent. I guess this is what you mean about it needing to decode (ahhhhh I'm not making any sense!!)

I hope I'm clear on my blunders!!!

Thanks Ronald.

Rhetro
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

If you can indeed decompress the .sit files on your iBook then that is OK. If you would use a expander version that cannot decompress the files, you would get an error message and no files would be decompressed.

The problem probably is that you do not use the correct file system format on the disk images and CD and/or that you burn the image on the CD instead of burning the CD from the image. Now, which is the MacOS or MacOSX version on your iBook and which application(s) do you use to create the disk image and to burn a CD from the image.
Rhetro
Tinkerer

Post by Rhetro »

Hey Ronald.

I'm using Mac OS X 10.4.7 and I'm using Disk Utility that came with my ibook.

Disk Utility does not give me the option of burning the folders directly on to the cd rom. It only allows me to create an image first, and then transfer those folders to the image. Then it lets me burn them.

does this help?

Thanks

Rhetro
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

OK, here is how you make a CD that is compatible with the MacOS in BasiliskII:

- In Disk Utility create a 'New Image' of sufficient size for your files, no encryption, read/write.
- After saving the image file, it will be mounted.
- In the left column in Disk Utility select the mounted image. You can see at the bottom of the Disk Utility window that the file system format of the newly created disk image is "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)". That is a format that the MacOS in BasiliskII cannot read. So you will have to re-format this disk image and make certain it is in a format that the older MacOS can read.

- Now select in Disk Utility the .dmg image file itself instead of the mounted disk image. At the right in the Disk Utility window the tabs will change and one of them will be "Partition". Choose that tab.
- Do not touch the Volume scheme settings.
- In the "Format" popup menu change "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" to "Mac OS Standard"
- Click the "Options..." button at the bottom of the window.
- Make sure "Apple Partition Map" is selected and click "OK"
- Now click at the bottom-right of the Disk Utility window the button "Partition" and again confirm that you want to partition this disk.
- Wait until the disk image is mounted again.
- Quit Disk Utility

- Now you can copy your files and folders to the mounted disk image.

- When all files have been copied, unmount the disk image and again launch Disk Utility.
- In the left column in Disk Utility select the disk image .dmg file.
- Click "Burn" in the window's tool bar.
- Insert a blank recordable CD in the drive that is chosen in the appearing dialog and click the "Burn" button.
- Wait till burning and verifying are ready and the newly burned CD is ejected.
- You now have a CD in Mac OS Standard format that the MacOS in BasiliskII should be able to read.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Instead of burning a CD from the disk image you can probably also transfer the image file to your Windows machine and add it to the list of disks for BasiliskII.

BTW: Why is it that you use BasiliskII for Windows on a Windows PC and not BasiliskII for MacOSX on your iBook? It would be much easier to transfer files between MacOS and MacOSX, simply using disk images.
Rhetro
Tinkerer

Post by Rhetro »

Hey Ronald.

Doesn't look like I'm being very fortunate.

I did exactly what you said.

after I burned the disk, I selected my cd rom drive (D) for mount drives.

Once in basilisk I went to "my computer" and saw that it did see the D drive. However, when I looked inside it, it said:

0 items
0 k in disk
1,023.9 K available

any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks Ronald.

rhetro

I'm putting it on my PC because the ibook is just being borrowed. I know, I would like to own one sometime!!!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

I am mainly a Mac-user and I have never used BasiliskII on Windows myself and I have no Windows system to try it myself. Others will be able to better tell you how to make the CD mount on the Mac desktop. I think you should not try to access the CD using the "My computer" icon. The CD can only be used if it is mounted on the Mac desktop.

Stop BasiliskII, insert the CD and have it mount on your Windows system, then launch BasiliskII. Doesn't the CD now appear on the Mac desktop?

Maybe the "cdenable.sys" CD-ROM driver must be installed for this to work?

But again, someone else with experience with BasiliskII on Windows can better tell you how to mount the CD on the Mac desktop in BasiliskII.
Rhetro
Tinkerer

Post by Rhetro »

Hey Ronald!

I'm such a fool. I think something just happened here:

I had pretty much given up for the day.

And I decided to load the gui one more time to see if I missed anything. Well, I had noticed that the

CD-Rom Drive window was empty. Well, I had been trying to mount the cd rom with the Mount Drive option.

I decided to click the down arrow and select the D drive.

And then run the GUI. It saw the disk!!!!!!

I went ahead and just double clicked on the disk, and saw the game folder that I wanted!

I moved the folder onto the Basilisk desktop. I supposed it copied correctly, because all the file were in the folder.

I double clicked on the game icon.

It started up, but shortly after, I got a:

The application "Unknown" has unexpectedly quit, because an error type 3 occurred.

Do you know what a type 3 error is?

Progress!!

Thanks

Rhetro
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

These error codes are quite mysterious, even when one knows the description:

ID=03 Illegal Instruction
The computer has a specific vocabulary of machine language instructions it can understand. If a computer tries to execute an instruction that isn't in its vocabulary, you see this error code. It's less likely than error 02, but still very common.

To me this doesn't mean anything else than "something is wrong", and that is clear even without knowing the description of the error.

You moved the folder with files from the CD to the Mac desktop. Where the files actually copied to the BasiliskII boot drive when you did that? Do the icons of the copied files look the way they are supposed to look?
Is the game you are trying to launch compatible with the emulated Mac and the system version? Is sufficient memory assigned to BasiliskII?

It is now 00:30 AM here where I live, time to go to sleep.
Rhetro
Tinkerer

Post by Rhetro »

Hey Ronald!

A lot of progress has been made. I used your instructions on buring a cd that could be recognized by basilisk for another cd rom that has a ton of apps and games. The CD has a bunch of Mac Classic stuff, but was made for modern day macs and hence Basilisk couldn't see it.

Well, your procedure worked for that as well! And Basilisk has no problem seeing any of this!!! In fact, I moved some of the apps over to the Basilisk Desktop and they work great!!!

When I move the apps over fromt he cd rom to the desktop it asks me is if I want to copy it to my desk top. I say YES because think that this is what you're supposed to do. I have a lot of software and was wondering:

how much disk space can the desk top hold? Was that a provision that I set up in the installation process, or does it take from my PC hard drive?

What I would like to do is copy several hundred M onto the desktop. Is this possible?

P.S: As far as those error messages concerning the game, Uninvited: I went into the gui and changed the amount of ram to 512. The error went from 3 to 0. So it's doing something. My guess with the game is this:

It is either a corupt file, or it needs an older system. I have 6.0.8 and am wondering if that could change a few things with some of the older software. But I don't want to get ahead.

what do you think?

Cheers!!

Thanks again Ronald.

Rhetro
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Rhetro wrote:When I move the apps over fromt he cd rom to the desktop it asks me is if I want to copy it to my desk top. I say YES because think that this is what you're supposed to do. I have a lot of software and was wondering:

how much disk space can the desk top hold? Was that a provision that I set up in the installation process, or does it take from my PC hard drive?

What I would like to do is copy several hundred M onto the desktop. Is this possible?
Exactly what is the desktop and where the files on it actually exist, needs some explaining.
Note that this explanation is valid for the older Mac systems, the desktop in MacOSX is a very different thing!

The desktop is not one single location, it is located on each mounted volume. When you drag a file from a read/write volume (like your boot volume) to the desktop it appears as if it was moved from that volume onto the desktop, but in fact it stays in on that volume. If several volumes are mounted, you can have files and folders on your desktop that look as if they are in the same location, while in fact they exist on different volumes. This can be demonstrated if one of the volumes is unmounted (of course you cannot do that with the boot volume). The files and folders on the desktop that exist on a volume that is unmounted will disappear from the desktop. And when you mount that volume again, they will re-appear.
If a file on volume A is visible on the desktop and dragged to volume A, it will be moved from the desktop to the volume A virtually. But if that same file is dragged from the desktop to volume B, it is copied to volume B and the original will stay on the desktop (on volume A).

On read-only volumes, like a CD, files (or folders) cannot be moved to the desktop, so dragging a file (or folder) from a read-only volume to the desktop will copy it to the desktop on your boot volume. If you move those files to any other location on your boot volume it is simply moved virtually in the GUI, but stays in fact on that boot volume.

If you want to have files copied from a CD to a different volume than the boot volume, you need to drag it to that volume. If you wish to see the files on your desktop, you can move them to the desktop after they were copied.

So, it is the size of the disks that determine how much can be on them, the desktop is just a virtual space with no capacity to hold anything by itself.

BTW: Everything I wrote about the desktop is also true for the trash can, it exists on all mounted volumes at the same time.
P.S: As far as those error messages concerning the game, Uninvited: I went into the gui and changed the amount of ram to 512. The error went from 3 to 0. So it's doing something. My guess with the game is this:

It is either a corupt file, or it needs an older system. I have 6.0.8 and am wondering if that could change a few things with some of the older software. But I don't want to get ahead.

what do you think?
I really do not know. A error "0" is even more mysterious than an error "3":
0 noErr 0 for success "OR"
0 smNotTruncated No truncation necessary

Isn't there any documentation with the game about the system and/or files needed?
Rhetro
Tinkerer

Post by Rhetro »

Hey Ronald.

That explanation makes perfect sense. I think I'm slowly getting the hang of it.

On another post, I mentioned that I had done a little research on the game, and the os that it uses. 6.0.8 is what it needs, and I heard that Basilisk doesn't do very well with it. At least from what I've read from previous posts.

I have just installed and loaded 6.0.8 on mini vMac and have that working.

The problem is trying to get the game onto vMac now.

I downloaded the .sit file of the game again, and used aladin expander 5 to open it.

It opened into its own folder, but it doesn't look like what came through for basilisk. no icons or anything.

I tried making an image of the contents of the folder using HFVExplorer. But I can't figure out how to transfer the hd image once it's been created.

am I making sense?

to answer your question, there is no documentation that I can find for it. To bad that Basilisk can't use it. Perhaps there is some tweak or something that I'm missing.

I realize that this is another topic. But I'm getting there....thanks for your patience.

rhetro