Problems with updating to 7.5.5 with custom install?

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Rhetro
Tinkerer

Problems with updating to 7.5.5 with custom install?

Post by Rhetro »

Hello.

Ready to make the jump to 7.5.5. However, I read a following message on Old dos. org about the 7.5.5 update:

IMPORTANT NOTE: If you wish to install the Macintosh System 7.5.5 update YOU MUST chose 'Easy Install'. There is a bug in the Emulator which causes any custom or other types of installs to fail when updated to 7.5.5.

When I installed 7.5.3, I selected custom install with the Universal system option.

This is contrary to the note. Do I start over or not worry about it?

Thanks in advance!

Rhetro
SSS
Granny Smith

Post by SSS »

Since you did a Custom Install, Disk Copy (the application you need to open the System 7.5.5 installation files) will not function, therefore you can not upgrade to System 7.5.5. I'm not sure why this happens, but it does. Personally, I wouldn't bother upgrading to 7.5.5. There's hardly any difference between .3 and .5, anyway. :wink:
Rhetro
Tinkerer

Post by Rhetro »

Thanks SSS!

From what I read in a response to one of my other posts, the update is for a bug fix.

If the bug isn't that big, I may not really bother with it.

I'm really planning on just playing old 68k games.

However, I do like the idea of having multiple OS Systems, in the event that one may need to be more recent to handle a more recent app.

But again, you said there really isn't a difference.

Rhetro
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

As I wrote before, 7.5.5 does provide a few improvements but 7.5.3 is OK. Applications that will run on 7.5.5 will run on 7.5.3 and vice versa.

Edit: I am not sure why Cat_7 told you to do the custom "universal system" installation. The easy installation would have been fine. A universal system is only needed if one wants to use the system on different Mac hardware or, when using emulators, if one wants to use the system with different ROM files and/or different emulators.
Rhetro
Tinkerer

Post by Rhetro »

Thanks Ronald!

I'm not sure either, but I guess it's good to have options.

I went ahead and did the upgrade from 7.5.3 to 7.5.5. As far as I'm concerned, the more stable the better. I can't stand bugs!! How negligible the upgrade is, I'll probably never know.

Now. I do agree with the advice of having different system folders that I can choose from if I need to. This is one of the nice things I like about Basilisk II.

This may sound a little strange, but sometimes (as you well know) I operate this way!:

When I launch the gui, I still see that Basilisk is using the 1 of 19 bin files. I suppose the update altered them somehow. I chanded the file names of the bin files from:

7.5.3 1 of 19.bin to:

7.5.5 1 of 19. bin.

That's just so I don't get confused between operating systems. When I launch the desktop and read:

About this Macintosh

It says: 7.5.5

To try it out, I had made a spare copy of my system 7.5.3 folder (what I thought would be an unchanged system that wasn't upgraded to 7.5.5.

When I put the 7.5.3 folder in the volumes tab, it still booted with 7.5.5 after I looked at the:

about this Macintosh. !!!

I guess I can't use sytem 7.5.3 anymore. I guess I don't really have to. What do you think?

Rhetro

oh. By the way.

On the desktop I see the

Untitled folder that was installed with 7.5.3 and there is nothing in it. I'm trying to keep things neat on the desktop. Does that have to be there (I'm guessing yes). If so, I guess I could change the name to:

Leave this disk alone!

Or something of that nature.

thanks
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

As is often the case, I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.
Rhetro wrote:Now. I do agree with the advice of having different system folders that I can choose from if I need to. This is one of the nice things I like about Basilisk II.
Can you choose between different system folders? How do you do that? Or do you mean choosing between different disk image to boot from with a different system installed on each of them?
This may sound a little strange, but sometimes (as you well know) I operate this way!:

When I launch the gui, I still see that Basilisk is using the 1 of 19 bin files. I suppose the update altered them somehow.
What bin files? What are you talking about?
To try it out, I had made a spare copy of my system 7.5.3 folder (what I thought would be an unchanged system that wasn't upgraded to 7.5.5.
What, how, where? Where to did you make a copy of the system folder? Or are you talking about making a copy of the disk image before the update? You cannot have two system folders on one disk.
On the desktop I see the

Untitled folder that was installed with 7.5.3 and there is nothing in it. I'm trying to keep things neat on the desktop. Does that have to be there (I'm guessing yes). If so, I guess I could change the name to:

Leave this disk alone!

Or something of that nature.
The 7.5.3 installation does not install a "Untitled" folder. You must have created a new folder yourself at some point. The default name of a new folder (and of a new disk) is "Untitled" unless you choose a different name or until you change its name.

Suddenly a thought occurred to me: You did not by any chance move your system folder to the desktop, did you?
Rhetro
Tinkerer

Post by Rhetro »

Sorry. Didn't mean to waste any time with my vague explanations.

Cat_7 wrote the following regarding the advantages to updating from 7.5.3 to 7.5.5:

But one nice thing with basilisk and the use of disk images for hard disks, is that you can have as many Mac OS install as you like. So you can install 7.5.3 on one disk, and 7.5.5 on another and 8.1 on yet another and use the GUI to select which one you would like to start. This way you can have a whole collection of different Mac OS installations to try your software on.

I guess what I meant in light of the previous explanation is booting different operating systems from different disk images. This is what i meant.

The bin files I'm referring to are the ones in my 7.5.3 folder. After all, I need that folder in the volume when I boot the gui, correct? If I remove that folder, it won't boot. The files in that folder are the 1-19 bin files. In the gui, i selected the first file in that folder. In other words. My volume looks like this.

7.5.3/1 of 19.smi.bin
install

the 7.5.3 is the folder, and the 1 of 19.smi.bin, is the file that the gui sees to boot sys 7.5.3.
the install disk is self explanatory.

When I have these two selected in my volumes tab, I get the macintosh desktop when I boot the gui. If there is a simpler way to do this, what is it??

Now. I want to boot different systems from differnt dsk images. I choose to do this for versatility with regards to running different software as opposed to be limited to one operating system.

I think that you just answered my question: Once the disk image of the OS has been created, I don't need the folder of the bin files that created the image anymore? So all I need are the disk images. Period. Correct?

I feel sometimes like I have to start over :|

Thanks
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Rhetro wrote:I guess what I meant in light of the previous explanation is booting different operating systems from different disk images. This is what i meant.
That makes more sense.

For the rest, I still have difficulty to understand what you are talking about. Apparently it is about installing the system and what to do after installation. After installation of the system onto the chosen boot disk image, of course none of the installer files you used, nor the folder they were in, nor the volume the were on (whatever you mean with that) are needed anymore for that setup. You only need BasiliskII and BasiliskGUI, the ROM file, possibly the keycodes file, the boot disk image, and optionally additional disk image files you want to use. The files can be anywhere on your PC, as long as the paths to the files are correctly entered in the BasiliskIIGUI.

When you want to install a different system on another disk image, you start all over with a new disk image to install the system on. You will need to remove (not delete) all "disks" belonging to the first setup from BasiliskIIGUI "Volumes" tab and add the ones needed for the second setup. When you use more than one disk in a certain setup, place the disk you want BasiliskII to boot from as the first one at the top of the list in the GUI.

When you have different systems on different disk images, you switch between them by removing the disks belonging to one system from the BasiliskIIGUI and adding the disks belonging to the other system in the GUI. Of course you do this while BasiliskII itself is not running.

When you have different ROM files, a 512K and a 1M one, you can use very different system versions in separate setups with not only different boot disk images, but also different ROM files, thus emulating different Mac machines. Usually some of the other setting in BasiliskII will need to be different as well when switching between such very different setups. Each time it is in the BasiliskIIGUI where you choose which files to use and thus which setup to start.
Rhetro
Tinkerer

Post by Rhetro »

Thanks! OK. Got it!

Simple: The disk image of the sys I'm booting from goes at the top (nothing else goes at the top).

Then that explains my problem.

After the installation process, I kept the folder from where all the 1 of 19 bin files that were used to set up sys 7.5.3 were stored. In that folder is where the system disk was created, and I didn't name it properly. I believe this is why I've made things so confusing, and indeed, I need to start over.

But now I believe that I've made enough mistakes, and have confused enough people (not diliberately mind you) to know how to fix it :idea:

So. Starting over. Who knows. In several (YEARS) I may have to help somone as befuddled as myself :?

Thanks again Ronald!

Cheers

Rhetro