Where did all the color go after the 7.5.5 upgrade?

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Rhetro
Tinkerer

Where did all the color go after the 7.5.5 upgrade?

Post by Rhetro »

Hello.

Well, I finally fixed my messy situation with the installations.

However, I realized that to upgrade from 7.5.3 to 7.5.5, the initial installation of 7.5.3 had to be an Easy Install otherwise the upgrade to 7.5.5 wouldn't work.

I did that and finally have two separate system images:

But I don't have color in 7.5.5. I take it that with the easy install, some of those options went away?

How can I enable color after the upgrade to 7.5.5?

Thanks in advance!

Rhetro
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

1. Did you have color on that system after the initial 7.5.3 installation, before the update to 7.5.5?
2. Did you try to check in "Monitors" (or depending on the installation "Monitors and Sound") control panel in System 7.5.5 that it is set to "Colors" and "Millions".
Rhetro
Tinkerer

Post by Rhetro »

Hey Ronald.

You know what....

I just jumped into the 7.5.5 install without really checking what the 7.5.3. system looked like after the Easy Install Oops. I'll take a look at that.

What i did notice in 7.5.5, is that I no longer had the slide out control panel(?) menu in the bottom of the screen like I did in my 7.5.3 system. i figured that this may have something to do with it.

When i went into color, it said that I had all the color specs that i did in 7.5.3 with the million colors etc. But anything I selected only came up in black and white.

I suppose my question is this:

Does the Easy Install change anything as far as menu options are concerned?

Thanks
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Rhetro wrote:I just jumped into the 7.5.5 install without really checking what the 7.5.3. system looked like after the Easy Install Oops. I'll take a look at that.
Well, not for the first time, I do not quite understand what you did. You first install 7.5.3, you boot from the newly installed 7.5.3 (and you will than see what it looks like, won't you?), then you install the 7.5.5 update while booted in the 7.5.3 that you are updating. A restart will then boot in 7.5.5. Apparently you followed a different route.
What i did notice in 7.5.5, is that I no longer had the slide out control panel(?) menu in the bottom of the screen like I did in my 7.5.3 system. i figured that this may have something to do with it.
That is the control strip. You do not really need it, all settings can be set in the control panels. With 7.5.3 and 7.5.5 it was not installed by default on desktop machines, only on laptops. You had it in the other installation probably because you used the universal system installation. There can be no relation with the color problem.

What you can try is this:
- When in 7.5.5, open the folder "Preferences" in the System folder.
- Look for the file that will probably be named "Display preferences" (I do not know the name exactly because my 7.5.5 system is in Dutch).
- Drag that file out of the Preferences folder onto the desktop.
- Restart the 7.5.5 virtual Mac (Special menu).

The color settings should now be reset to the default values, probably 256 colors. (You can set them to thousands or millions if you wish.)

While restarting, the system created a new Displays preferences file in the Preferences folder. You can trash the file that you dragged to the desktop.
Rhetro
Tinkerer

Post by Rhetro »

Hey Ronald!

No doubt, you've gone to bed.

Just wanted to tell you that you're recommendation worked.

No. I did not look at the 7.5.3 desktop after the installation.

I guess I thought I didn't really need to.

Everything was as you said in 7.5.5

Color is just fine. I guess since I didn't see the slide out control panel that something was wrong.

Good to go!

btw: Kiik Uut:

Means watch out, right? I had some friends in college from Enchede (I don't know how to spell it) and they would always say that. I even have a dutch flag with their signatures saying, "KIIK UUT!!!"

Take care my friend.

Rhetro
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Right, "Kiik uut" is dialect from their part of the Netherlands. In more universal Dutch it is "Kijk uit". My nephew, the one I visited for his birthday last week, is a IT student in Enschede.
But this is now very much off-topic, I'm afraid. ;)

For compensation:
The slide-out thing is called "control strip". The items in it are determined by the files in the "Control Strip Modules" folder in the System Folder. Most function as an easy way to change some of the settings in control panels without opening the control panels themselves.
The files in the "Control Panels" folder in the System Folder, accessible also directly from the Apple menu, are the actual control panels.