Wireless networking

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Shur'Tugal
Space Cadet

Wireless networking

Post by Shur'Tugal »

so, i got the UB build of Basilisk II up and running on my MacBook Pro, and now i want to go online so i can stop using this damned inconvenient method of loading a unix directory in the emulation. is there any way to get BII to take data from my AirPort connection and forward it to the sys 7.5.5 emulation as an ethernet connection?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

You can use the "slirp" Ethernet interface settings in BasiliskIIGUI and set the System 7.5.5 TCP/IP control panel to "Ethernet" and "DHCP Server". Works fine to connect to and through my Airport network on my PowerBook G4 with 10.4.8, should work on your MacBook Pro also. I have never tried to connect to the host computer (the PowerBook G4), though.

Why is the "Unix" volume/shared folder inconvenient? I think it is generally easier to use than a network connection.
Shur'Tugal
Space Cadet

Post by Shur'Tugal »

i hate having to kill the emulation, hunt for a file, and load the emulation back up.

it totally ruins the Classic experience.:p

EDIT: i dont see anything that says slirp in the preferences panel.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Shur'Tugal wrote:i hate having to kill the emulation, hunt for a file, and load the emulation back up.
:?:
You do not need to. You can move files in and out of the "Unix" shared folder on both sides while the emulator is running.
Or are you using BasiliskII full screen? Full screen mode may look interesting, but it is not very practical. In window mode you can access both the guest and the host system.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Shur'Tugal wrote:EDIT: i dont see anything that says slirp in the preferences panel.
In Serial/Network panel, use the arrow after the "Ethernet interface" box to choose "slirp" from the menu (the only choice in the menu).
Shur'Tugal
Space Cadet

Post by Shur'Tugal »

i shall post screens of what is available to me.
and yeah, i run in full-screen, ares and avara don't like being run in a window

Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

OK, I see, you are using Nigel Pearson's port of BasiliskII and I was referring to the inteface of Gwenole Beauchesne's versions.

After "EtherNet interface" enter "slirp" (without the quotation marks).
Shur'Tugal
Space Cadet

Post by Shur'Tugal »

well, i finally got it to keep slirp in the field when i run the emulator, now what do i do? everything i have read says to open TCP/IP and set it to ethernet and DHCP, but all i have is MacTCP and DHCP isn't an option here, it wants manual configuration....
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

You run System 7.5.5, don't you? Go the Apple Extras folder. There you will find a application that will allow you to choose between the old networking with control panels Network and MacTCP and the new Open Transport networking with control panels AppleTalk and TCP/IP. I do not know its name in English, because I have a Dutch system installed, but the name will refer clearly to its function. Run it, choose Open Transport Networking, close the dialog window and restart the system.
Shur'Tugal
Space Cadet

Post by Shur'Tugal »

aha, now what? i set it to ethernet and DHCP, but i dont have an IP or anything. also, do you know of a browser that will run is system 7? i can't seem to locate one.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

The IP-address should appear after you restart and/or when you start using internet software.

There is a version of iCab that should run on a 68k Mac with System 7.1-8.1:
http://www.icab.de/dl.php
Shur'Tugal
Space Cadet

Post by Shur'Tugal »

woot! it works! a bit on the slow side, bit it will do.

thanks
Mr. Saturn
Space Cadet

Post by Mr. Saturn »

Thanks from me too, I've been wondering how to do this too.