What ROM version do I need and where can I get it ?

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

MacUser
Tinkerer

What ROM version do I need and where can I get it ?

Post by MacUser »

Hello Forum,

I have a working SheepShaver(SS) system but because it seems that it is easier to share files with BasiliskII (BII) than in SS I installed BII + BasiliskIIGUI in the same folder as SS. I used the BasiliskIIGUI to setup the prefs with the same HD image, ROM etc as I use for SS but when hitting the start button I get the message.

"Invalid ROM size. BasiliskII requires a 512 or 1MB MacII ROM."

So were can I get the right ROM ?

Regards, Wim.

PS, The only app I have to run in SS or BII is HyperCard.
PS2, I use a MacBookPro
PS3, I tried to boot from OS8 CD (don't have version 7+)
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: What ROM version do I need and where can I get it ?

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

MacUser wrote:I have a working SheepShaver(SS) system but because it seems that it is easier to share files with BasiliskII (BII) than in SS I installed BII + BasiliskIIGUI in the same folder as SS. I used the BasiliskIIGUI to setup the prefs with the same HD image, ROM etc as I use for SS but when hitting the start button I get the message.

"Invalid ROM size. BasiliskII requires a 512 or 1MB MacII ROM."
SheepShaver emulates a PPC Mac, while BasiliskII emulates a 86k Mac. So you cannot use the same ROM file and probably also not the same HD image. For BasiliskII you could use for instance a Quadra or Performa ROM file. It is illegal to distribute ROM files, but with some effort you can find them on the web.

What do you mean when you say "it seems that it is easier to share files with BasiliskII (BII) than in SS"? There were problems with the shared ("Unix") folder on Intel Mac, but those are solved in the version you can download in this topic in SheepShaver forum:
http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4096
MacUser
Tinkerer

Post by MacUser »

Hello Ronald,

Thanks for your reply.

I managed to get BII working (found a Quadra650ROM on internet) but unfortunately BII is as buggy for networking as SS, perhaps because both use Slirp.

I was wrong about "easier networking in BII".
And indeed I had to create a fresh HD image.

I found out that BII is giving troubles at startup, it crashed as soon as I entered the date/city information in the Assistent after installing OS8.
So at the moment there is no reason for me to use BII and I will keep using SS.

I really hope there will be a better network support in SS because Slirp is not as reliable as it should be.
And I am sure it will be easy to make a long list of wishes, starting with drag and drop from the host, USB.... etc.....

Ronald thanks again, regards Wim.
Silver9990
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Silver9990 »

Just wanted to comment on
probably also not the same HD image.
It all depends on the extensions you have loading, but if you have an HFV image it will work in both SheepShaver and B2.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Silver9990 wrote:Just wanted to comment on
probably also not the same HD image.
It all depends on the extensions you have loading, but if you have an HFV image it will work in both SheepShaver and B2.
I was referring to the system installed on the image. Some of the files installed by he system installer differ between different machines, so a system installed on a (emulated) PPC Mac will probably not work on a (emulated) 68k Mac.
Silver9990
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Silver9990 »

True, but i've installed 7.5.3 and 8.0 under SS using the PPC install and they both ran under B2.
yksoft1
Master Emulator

Post by yksoft1 »

The 7.5 system's Open Transport libraries are NOT fat binary so they cannot be used across 68K and PPC systems. but those libraries from 8.1 are fat binary.