Networking Macintosh and Basilisk II

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

superpete

Networking Macintosh and Basilisk II

Post by superpete »

Hey

I've made my self a Mac-to-PC Null cable and wanna know if its possible to connect Basilisk II to the real mac via apple talk? I've been trying to do it but it ain't working!

Any Ideas?
superpete

Post by superpete »

Just so people know-
i'm trying to connect a Apple Colour Classic to basilisk II through the serial port via appletalk.

The cable I'm using does work as i have been able to use hyper-terminal to talk and transfer files between the mac and pc. I just cant get MacOS 8.1 to see the Real Mac in Basilisk (or the other way around). I've enabled sharing on both machines, and have shares open.

Also when i try and select in the Apple Talk control panel in OS8 (basilisk) and then select Apple Talk - Modem Port (which is com1) it says something like "finding port information" and just freezes there.

Does Basilisk II not support Apple Talk over serial? And if not - will it ever?

Thanks!

Pete
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

I get glazed eyes when it comes to Mac networking, as I don't have much experience beyond using Ethernet and a hub, but have you tried setting everything up as LocalTalk?

http://www.users.voicenet.com/~corr/mac ... etwork/lt/
http://www.maccentric.com/localtalk.shtml
http://all-star-computers.net/nopeer.htm
superpete

Post by superpete »

yes i had checked everything!

actually - i found out that Basilisk II does not support Local/Apple talk through the serial ports (although it does over ethernet).

If someone wants to write the code for this....... :wink:

Thanks anyways!

Pete
ondesx

network

Post by ondesx »

Hi,

Since BII allows web surfing through an ethernet link and TCP/IP protocole, I'm quite sure that you can network BII and a real Mac...
But is it your actual question ?

Best regards

rw
The Balance Of Judgement
Apple Corer

Networking

Post by The Balance Of Judgement »

You might have a better chance using Fusion or SoftMac, I can't recall about thier networking abilities.

If you can get a ethernet between both macs then it's much easier.

The only other way you can transfer files is using the null modem in Basilisk and using a terminal emulation program to use the cable with the other mac and sending files. There was an article how to do that with the iMac modem. I don't know if that can be done with a normal cable or whether you need a modem. (you can always use a real one, just be careful i don't know how it works.)
superpete

Post by superpete »

Yeah!
I was trying to network my Colour Classic (non-ethernet) to my PC using a serial cable that i made up. I was transfering files through a terminal app on the pc and mac - and thought that i would be cool to try an appletalk network between the two. But Basilisk II does not support AppleTalk over SERIAL.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Re: Networking Macintosh and Basilisk II

Post by 24bit »

Did anybody proceed in this issue over the last ten years?

Two Macs could be networked together with a printer cable over LocalTalk obviously.
Such serial cable would of course not have been a cross-over cable.

Maybe LocalTalk was off limits for BII though, just as MIDI was.