Inconsistencies between Basilisk II v. Basilisk II JIT

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Anthony JH

Inconsistencies between Basilisk II v. Basilisk II JIT

Post by Anthony JH »

Hi,

I've been trying out Basilisk II "Black Hammer Edition" and thought I'll try out both versions (non-JIT 'standard' and JIT-enabled). I have one hard disk HFV file with System 7.5.5 installed that I use for both versions of Basilisk II.

I've also been playing Escape Velocity: Override to see just how fast I can run the MacOS on my 1.47 GHz Athlon. Frankly, I'm amazed at the speed, especially disk access (I suppose the ATA133 helps). The startup extensions parade zips by so fast it's like they weren't there! It sure beats my Quadra 630, and it even shares my internet connection with WinXP using the NAT router.

First point: JIT seems a little slower than non-JIT. The extensions parade is definitely slower on startup with the JIT version (still very fast though, but not 'blink-of-an-eye' fast).

Second point: Also, something I noticed last night when playing EVO: I recently purchased a scout ship and practiced firing. I tried this on both JIT & non-JIT versions and my scoutship's guns definitely had approximately half the range when running the JIT version!

Obviously, I haven't done a more scientific analysis with a wider selection of test subjects, but unless I'm missing something somewhere, the JIT version was definitely giving me different results to the other. Clearly, if true, EVO is best played on the non-JIT version (I get longer range, which always helps).

One doesn't seem more crash prone than the other (although I haven't been using Basilisk for more than a few days), I have FPU emulation turned off (but I'm running Software FPU 3.03), and the screen size is set to 1024*768 @ 256 colours (I checked in the monitors control panel, just in case the different firing ranges were an optical illusion...).

Any thoughts? Sorry for the long post.

Thanks,

- Anthony
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

You need FPU turned on and the ModelID set to Quadra 900. Also, what are your JIT settings on the JIT tab?

Basilisk II JIT will not "seem" faster when it comes to the speed of the OS loading, windows openning and a few other things. But when running a processor intensive task like photoshop filters, repaginating a text document, unstuffing a large file, etc. a properly setup B2 JIT can perform approximately 4 times faster then the standard build 142.

If you attach the BasiliskII_prefs file found in your Basilisk II JIT directory, it will list all your settings which will help us determine if you should change something under the BasiliskIIGUI.
Anthony JH

Post by Anthony JH »

Sorry for the delay, I will attach prefs file when I get home tonight.

Has anybody else tried playing EVO under both BII and BII JIT?

- Anthony
M*K
Student Driver

Post by M*K »

EVO unstuff quickly under BII JIT and run greatly under BII, according you follow exctly the instructions given with BII.
Anthony JH

Post by Anthony JH »

JIT Prefs file attached.

I'll take this opportunity to correct myself. As I found out in an EVO battle with more than a few ships, JIT was a lot faster (i.e. much smoother) than non-JIT (but still slightly jerky e.g. when new sprites drawn on-screen).

As for the different range of my ship's guns, it would help if I knew how a real Mac would behave e.g. should the basic guns in EVO (red bullets) be able to shoot to the edge of a 640 * 480 screen? It does in non-JIT Basilisk II, but I get less than half the screen width with JIT.

I suppose I'll find a real Mac then to test it out...

Thanks,

- Anthony
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

On the General tab of BasiliskIIGUI, enable the 68040 FPU. I somewhat recall Gwenole (the JIT porter) saying that disabling the normal FPU would disable the JIT FPU.