Mac on Linux on Windows Screenshot - Basilisk II

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Mac on Linux on Windows Screenshot - Basilisk II

Post by Mac Emu »

I've been wanting to do this for a very long time!

This is a freshly compiled from CVS Basilisk II JIT running Mac OS 7.6.1 (using SLIRP to get online with IE 4.0.1) on Ubuntu 7.0.4 Desktop running on VMware Server 1.0.3 running on Windows XP SP2.

http://people.delphiforums.com/jawiv/picts2/M_U_W.jpg

Next ... SheepShaver! :wink:
Stephen Coates
Expert User

Post by Stephen Coates »

Cool!

I think I'm going to have to try and make a page of more up to date screenshots on emaculation.

It is also nice to know that the site seems to work OK still in an emulated Mac.
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

Yeah! I'm having a ton of fun! One more screenshot is coming up soon hopefully. Hint: I built it from CVS. :wink:

We should have a screenshot contest, though I have no idea what the prize might be except being announced the winner on the Emaculation home page. :lol:
yksoft1
Master Emulator

Post by yksoft1 »

How about this?
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

Yea! That's it! (Mac on Mac on Windows.)

Your Mini-vMac OS has System 7.5.5, but SheepShaver is running System 7.5.3? :P

Here's one of my old favorites of Basilisk II running vMac (Mac on Mac on Windows) & SoftWindows (Windows on Mac on Windows).

(I'm competing against you.) :mrgreen:

yksoft1
Master Emulator

Post by yksoft1 »

Oh you have many neat widgets installed on your 7.6.1.
can you share the "taskbar" on your system?
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

Yeah. It's shareware called Action GoMac.

Review: http://www.applelinks.com/reviews/gomac.shtml
Download: http://www.download.com/Action-GoMac/30 ... 82410.html (requires Mac OS 7.6 - 9.x)

It used to come with all the English Mac magazines on included CDs filled with freeware, shareware, and demos. If I remember, it was owned by another company before taken over by Power On Software. Maybe an older version of GoMac will work on System 7.5.x?
yksoft1
Master Emulator

Post by yksoft1 »

Unfortunately all SoftWindows/SoftPC PPC versions don't work in SheepShaver, but the 68K version of SoftWindows 1.0.2 runs (slowly and buggy). Virtual PC 1.0 and 2.0 just crash the emulator, didn't try newer versions.
These are what everything starts, emulated in the Mac emulated by SheepShaver:
You can see SoftWindows 1.0.2 has serious issues with Windows 1.01's EGA Driver.(The window background of MS-DOS Executive is in fact plain white and menubar background should be yellow)
Then,
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

8O

Microsoft Windows 1.01 and Macintosh System 1.0 running on SheepShaver with Mac OS 8.6! How can I possibly beat that?! :lol:

Love the Aaron face you drew in Windows 1.01.

I bought SoftWindows 1.0.2 back around 1995 and ran it on a Performa 6115CD with 8 MB RAM and a 350 MB hard drive. Nowadays running it on Basilisk II or SheepShaver is faster than what I am used to. :P

I've been working on something the past two days for another screenshot, but have been hitting snags. But I'll get you my pretty, and your smiling Mac too! Hahahahahaha! Muhahahahahah!
yksoft1
Master Emulator

Post by yksoft1 »

Mac prior to 1988 bundled MacPaint and MacWrite, while EVERY Windows version (except the upcoming Windows Server "Core" edition and Windows foundation for Lagacy PCs) has Paint and Write.
Stephen Coates
Expert User

Post by Stephen Coates »

Nice screenshots.

I have run Windows 3.1 within BasiliskII before, but that is about it.

Although I did have Windows 95, Windows NT4, Windows XP Pro media centre 2005, and Vector Linux (Text, no X), all running in seperate virtual PCs (VPC5) on my Pentium III system.
yksoft1
Master Emulator

Post by yksoft1 »

Stephen Coates wrote:Nice screenshots.

I have run Windows 3.1 within BasiliskII before, but that is about it.

Although I did have Windows 95, Windows NT4, Windows XP Pro media centre 2005, and Vector Linux (Text, no X), all running in seperate virtual PCs (VPC5) on my Pentium III system.
I remember on my retired ThinkPad T21 I have Windows 1.03, Windows 286/2.1, Windows 3.2(a Chinese only version) and Windows 98 Second Edition on one VHD file.
and on that system I even have OS/2 2.1 , OS/2 Warp 4.5, Solaris 8 and Apple Rhapsody OS on VHD.
Stephen Coates
Expert User

Post by Stephen Coates »

On the subject of Windows 1.01, I downloaded a pre installed Windows 1 dloppy. So I can just stick the disk into the computer and boot from it. Works nice a fast on my PIII.
yksoft1
Master Emulator

Post by yksoft1 »

Stephen Coates wrote:On the subject of Windows 1.01, I downloaded a pre installed Windows 1 dloppy. So I can just stick the disk into the computer and boot from it. Works nice a fast on my PIII.
Or you can include it in an ISO image and burn this bootable image to a CD(You should write some lines in DOS config.sys and autoexec.bat to extract the System to an RAM disk because Windows 1.01 has uncountable flaws running on readonly media.
Once I had burnt a disc contained this image and my friend had forgotten to eject this disk after use, and he was very scared when he started the computer next day ^_^

When (directly with a Windows98 boot CD) running Windows 1.01 on a FAT32 partition on my mid-2006 ThinkPad R60 harddisk with DOSVER.exe tool, the splash screen only displayed for about five frames on my 60Hz LCD and it get to the MS-DOS Executive screen.

if you need I can send you some small shareware and an abandonware game (named Balance of Power) for running on Windows 1.01 (one of them only run correctly on 1.03).
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

I don't know if this counts, but here are a bunch of virtual machines showing Mac (emulator?) sites on VPC running Windows 3.11 for Workgroups, Windows 95b, and Windows NT 4 Server. However, VMware is running PCLinuxOS in the background configuring Basilisk II from CVS. :mrgreen:

http://home.tampabay.rr.com/osemu/screenshots/vpc_1.htm
Pinkfish
Space Cadet

Post by Pinkfish »

What if... I come to run hm... let's say Sony Vaio Laptop with Hackintosh > Windows > Linux > SheepShaver > Windows > Basilik II > Mini vMac?
Could you do it? :D

I'm still trying to make Basilisk II OR Sheepshaver work on my hackintosh now lol.