Downloading apps into the emulation

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

FinalPhoenix

Downloading apps into the emulation

Post by FinalPhoenix »

Okay folks got a question for ya-

Ive got BasiliskII up and running with system 8.0

Included with system 8.0 is StuffIt Expander 4.5

What im wondering is, ive been trying to get programs into the emulated macintosh, and stuffit expander refuses to open anything!!

For example, a friend Stuffed their Kid Pix stuff (pun not intended) into a .sit.hqx file and sent that to me.

Stuffit decodes the HQX Okay, and i'm left with a file thats called KidPix.sit.1

Guess what? Stuffit refuses to open the file. Even after going in with a creator changer it still refuses to open the file.

Okay try 2- my friend sent me just a .sit file this time.

When i try to open the sit file, expander does nothing! It doesnt freeze or crash, it just does nothing, like i never picked a file.

P.S. More problems making my emulated life miserable

1. Why does After Dark 3.0 not want to run on the emulation?
2. Why do my icons come up with corrupted colors?
3. And why cant anything set my emulated monitor to 256 colors?
The Balance Of Judgement
Apple Corer

Help Is On The Way

Post by The Balance Of Judgement »

Let's take a look at this step by step.

Stuffit Exapnder 4.x is known to be quite picky with what files it opens. Sometimes if you created a folder and placed files it would not expand into this folder, then started Stuffit, went into the preferences and told it to "watch" a folder every 5 minutes for files to unstuff, it would finally kick in and unstuff the items.

But the easiest solution is to download Stuffit Expander 5.5, as this should solve most of those problems relating to unstuffing files.

In regards to AfterDark, some applications may require FPU (see readme to see what system requirements are) and some may have screen requirements.

Under OS 8 it is a common bug and issue that icons will corrupt, especially drive icons. So far it does not seem to affect anything too much, but I would run Disk First Aid Occasionally on the drives to make sure. If it still gives you troubles or bothers you, step down a notch and use 7.5.5 or 7.6.1. (to get 7.5.5, simply download 7.5.3 then grab the 7.5.5 updater)

If you are running Basilisk II in a windowed mode (generally directx) you cannot set the monitor to 256 as it will use the color settings that you currently have on your windows desktop. You iether have to reduce your windows color setting to 256 if you want to run Basilisk in a window @ 256 colors or switch to fullscreen and make sure in the Basilisk II GUI you have it set to 256 colors. (note that even if it is set for 256 colors in Basilisk II GUI and you run in windowed mode, it will ignore your setting and use the desktop setting of windows)
MaxFrames

8.0?

Post by MaxFrames »

Why are you using MacOS 8.0 anyway? There's a free upgrade to 8.1 which, among other things, fixes a few bugs. Give it a try (possibily back up the HD image first). And definitely install Stuffit Expander 5.5.