disk init

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

skyrocker67
Space Cadet

disk init

Post by skyrocker67 »

Hi

Just installed basilisk and love it two things thou one: i get a could not init this disk? how do i fix this second how can i upgrade from 7.5.3 to 8.?

Thanks
MaxFrames

Answers... or something like that

Post by MaxFrames »

1) :!:
On which disk do you get the "could not init" error? The MacOS hard disk image? A floppy disk image? A real Mac floppy disk?
When do you get the error? At startup? At disk insertion (if removable)?
When you manually try to format a disk?
WARNING!!! Be DAMN sure you didn't - by mistake - enable the Windows partition(s) in the "Disk" section of Basilisk GUI!!! The MacOS hard disk image(s) should be on the LEFT side (INSTALLED disks) while the Windows partitions ("C:\", for instance) should be on the RIGHT (AVAILABLE disks) and should stay right there! On the left pane only the Mac hard disk images should be listed. If the Windows partitions are installed in the GUI, I believe that MacOS will not recognize them and ask you to initialize them. Be careful NOT to initialize the Windows partition or you'll lose all your data!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
To use a Mac hard disk image use the "Browse..." button to locate it.

2)
Apple gives away MacOS 7.5 for free. All other versions are retail (you could use them only if you bought them). I think that installing MacOS 8 over MacOS 7.5 would upgrade the system to MacOS 8 (although a fresh install might me better: you can then drag and drop documents and stuff from the old hard disk image to the new one using HFVExplorer). This gives you the option to switch back to a working 7.5 in case the 8.0 installation messes up somehow.
The latest version which can run on Basilisk is MacOS 8.1 (available as an upgrade from MacOS 8.0 only - not from 7.5.x).

Hope this helps :wink:
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

You can format a non-initialized disk by booting up with extensions off. (Rapidly tap the shift key as soon as you run BasiliskII.exe until you see the message "Extensions Off".)

OS 7.5.3 is free as is the 7.5.5 update. If you have the OS 8 CD, you can upgrade 7.5.x to 8, but I recommend doing a clean install. The free OS 8.1 update will not upgrade 7.5.x, however some people around here have reportedly done some advanced hacking of the 7.5.3 system files to allow a hybrid OS.
MaxFrames

What?

Post by MaxFrames »

:?:
Do you mean that to initialize a previously created disk image in Basilisk you need to boot the emulator (from another disk image) with extensions off first? Are you sure about that?
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

No, I'm saying to initialize a new disk image that hasn't been initialized yet and doesn't show up on the desktop must be taken care of this way.