A New Use For Basilisk

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

The Balance Of Judgement
Apple Corer

A New Use For Basilisk

Post by The Balance Of Judgement »

With the onslaught of viruses, and other unwanted junk in my mail and the fact that afer trying to find a decent e-mail program that will save all files and e-mails in the case of a system failure, which I never did...I decided to use Basilisk II to fetch all my e-mail.

I use Outlook Express 4 in Basilisk which supports multiple users and even supports html e-mail messages. The nice thing Is that because 68k e-mail viruses are very very rare, it's like virtually 99.99% safe to open any and all e-mails even if it's from someone I have no idea about. I have already gotten several files that I suspect are viruses, and as of late I just delete them knowing there is no harm done. Plus, my e-mails are kept safe in a nice virtual computer, so if my PC crashes, as long as I keep my backups of my Mac hard disk image intact, all my e-mails are happily waiting for me, even if I have to re-install my operating system.

And if someone sends me something that I need to use on my PC, HFV Explorer comes to the rescue to transfer it. But most JPEG images can be used inBasilisk II, so really I don't need my PC side for attachments. And since Basilisk II supports copy and paste, it's really easy to get e-mail addresses from windows to mac.

One small note that Outlook and Internet Explorer 4 don't accept pasting from the clipboard if you copied text from a PC side. You need to open up SimpleText first, paste the e-mail or link in then copy it into Outlook or Ie.

So, I stand here virus free. The only thing next to do is fine a nice firewall solution.

Citon X600