CD not recognised in Win-Basilisk

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

spacific
Student Driver

CD not recognised in Win-Basilisk

Post by spacific »

I thought I would put all my Classic files and apps on a CD so that I could use them within Basilisk under Windows: I burned the CD from a PowerMac. That CD can be read on Macs and also on Windows (albeit without the Mac info). But Basilisk (v 0.8.0.142) says "disk not formatted -- Eject or Initialize". I have cdenable.sys where it should be, and "CD Enabled" on.

How do I get the classic files into Basilisk? Thanks.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Does your Basilisk installation read other CD's? Audio perhaps?

Please try to insert the cd before starting Basilisk, as it might not see the disk correctly when you try to insert/change a disk when Basilisk is running.

Good luck,
Cat_7
spacific
Student Driver

Post by spacific »

Many thanks for that ... it has raised some issues!

Yes, I tried an audio CD and it showed up correctly. But then when I put in a Mac System CD it showed as "Audio_2" containing just one track! Same again when I tried another system CD. Suddenly thought that I might not have the Extensions loaded for full CD data recognition, so used Extensions Manager to turn on "Mac OS 8 all". That worked as far as those System disks were concerned: I now see them correctly in Basilisk.

Now for my own data disk ... just the same: Basilisk asks to initialize it!

However, here is a clue:
When Basilisk is running, Windows sees the CD as empty. When I quit Basilisk, Windows sees the contents. I'm hoping that that tells you something important ;) (Maybe I still don't have the correct Extension: do you happen to know just what is needed for CDs?)

Cheers, and thanks for your help.
spacific
Student Driver

Post by spacific »

Sorry, I should have mentioned that it makes no difference whether the CD is inserted before or after Basilisk is running.

Cheers.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Which is the Mac file format on the CD and which is the system version that is running in BasiliskII? If the file format on the CD is HFS+ (Macintosh extended) a MacOS earlier than 8.1 cannot read it. MacOS 8.0 or earlier needs HFS.
spacific
Student Driver

Post by spacific »

AAAHHH!!!!

Thank you Ronald. You are quite correct. It IS Mac OS Extended, whereas the others are Mac OS Standard. So solved -- except: so how do I burn a CD in standard format? The Finder's Burn doesn't have any options for formatting (that I could see!) In fact it says: "You can use the CD on any Macintosh computer or PC"! (I guess they mean modern Mac.)

Anyone know if this is possible from a PowerMac? (admittedly this is getting off-topic.)

Thanks.
spacific
Student Driver

Post by spacific »

Not to worry, I have found a few utilities that claim to write in standard format.

Thanks for your help.