Need help installing ClarisWorks

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Space Cadet

Need help installing ClarisWorks

Post by 1985 »

Running 7.5.3 on Basilisk II on iMac w/ OSX 10.5
I have ClarisWorks 2.0 on three 800k install disks.
My USB floppy drive only reads 1.4M disks, so I need to transfer the installer to 1.4M floppies to get it into the iMac.
Fortunately, I have a ClassicII that can read 400k, 800k, and 1.4M (definitely a keeper!) to do this with.
First thing I tried was to just copy the files off the 800k floppies onto the 1.4M floppies and just dump the files into the UNIX drive/folder. When I clicked on the installer, I got a message saying it could not run because it could not find the install script (even though I could see the icon right next to it).
So the next thing I tried was to use DiskCopy to make images of the 800k floppies, and then after getting these onto the iMac I added them to the disk images list. When I ran the emulator, the virtual Mac said it wanted to format them because they were unreadable.

What do I try next? :( :?:
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

First create a large enough new disk image to be mounted in SheepShaver as second volume along with the boot image. Give the image file a name that ends with a .dmg file extension. After the image volume is initialised in SheepShaver (choose Mac Extended for the format) and after you have quit SheepShaver (see Note below), you can mount that image in OSX by double clicking. Copy the 800k image files onto that new disk image volume and again unmount the image. Launch SheepShaver, open the volume with the 800k images and mount them all in SheepShaver. (If they are not self-mounting, DiskCopy needs to be installed.) Start installing from the first installation disk.

Note: A disk image created for SheepShaver can be mounted in OSX if the file extension is .dmg. Make sure you have never mounted such a image in OSX and SheepShaver at the same time.

Edit: Oops! :oops:
I wrote this as an answer to a SheepShaver question. However, the question is about BasiliskII.
However, the same procedure can be followed. Only MacOS Extended format will not be available for initializing the new disk image if the MacOS is earlier than 8.1.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Wed May 07, 2008 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yksoft1
Master Emulator

Re: Need help installing ClarisWorks

Post by yksoft1 »

1985 wrote:Running 7.5.3 on Basilisk II on iMac w/ OSX 10.5
I have ClarisWorks 2.0 on three 800k install disks.
My USB floppy drive only reads 1.4M disks, so I need to transfer the installer to 1.4M floppies to get it into the iMac.
Fortunately, I have a ClassicII that can read 400k, 800k, and 1.4M (definitely a keeper!) to do this with.
First thing I tried was to just copy the files off the 800k floppies onto the 1.4M floppies and just dump the files into the UNIX drive/folder. When I clicked on the installer, I got a message saying it could not run because it could not find the install script (even though I could see the icon right next to it).
So the next thing I tried was to use DiskCopy to make images of the 800k floppies, and then after getting these onto the iMac I added them to the disk images list. When I ran the emulator, the virtual Mac said it wanted to format them because they were unreadable.

What do I try next? :( :?:
DO NOT use Read-only (Compressed) Disk Copy NDIF format or compressed ShrinkWrap format to make disk images for use in Macintosh emulators. Use Read-write images instead.
And keep a bootable Mini vMac installation beside BasiliskII or/and Sheepshaver is very useful.
Space Cadet

thanks

Post by 1985 »

Yeah I was thinking last night I should use DiskCopy to mount the images and that worked. Glad to see it was confirmed.

yksoft1:
Are you saying if I used read/write the images would be directly mountable? No need for mounting with DiskCopy?
yksoft1
Master Emulator

Re: thanks

Post by yksoft1 »

1985 wrote:Yeah I was thinking last night I should use DiskCopy to mount the images and that worked. Glad to see it was confirmed.

yksoft1:
Are you saying if I used read/write the images would be directly mountable? No need for mounting with DiskCopy?
Mini vMac and Basilisk II will mount Disk Copy read/write images directly.
I'm not very sure whether it applies to non-compressed read-only images.
Disk Copy NDIF compressed images rely on their resource fork to be mounted, and they are compressed using an undocumented proprietary algorithm. So neither there is any non-Apple programs that will mount them, nor they could be used under non-Mac OS operating systems.