Installing OS 7.1... a Catch-22!

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

millions
Space Cadet

Installing OS 7.1... a Catch-22!

Post by millions »

Well, I've been struggling with Basilisk II for a little while, but I've finally gotten myself a ROM and some System software. Yay! :)

But... I've got a bit of a problem...
I can't seem to be able to install system 7 because it tells me that I'm trying to install to a read-only volume called "Install" (which is my 7.1 install disk image)
From within the emulator, I can't switch disks or eject disks to install the OS to the 'basilisk_II.vol" I created. :( How can I change my install volume and get the OS running?

Oh, and I'm using the OS X port of Basilisk II. :)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

The paths to install disk image and disk image of the target volume should both be in the volumes list, then they will both mount in BasiliskII when you boot from the install disk and you can choose the target volume in the installer. If the installation must be done from several install disks, all the images should be in the list. All disks will be mounted and the installer will switch between disks as needed.

- How did you create your "basilisk_II.vol"? A disk image created by Disk Utility will not work with System 7.

- There are several MacOSX versions of BasiliskII around, which one do you use?
millions
Space Cadet

Post by millions »

Thanks for your reply.
Both my install image and "basilisk_II.vol" were in my volumes list; but the second of which was not being recognized. I will try to add all my images to this list and see what happens.

I created the volume from within Basilisk.
I use "Mac OS X, port 19" for PowerPC.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

millions wrote:I use "Mac OS X, port 19" for PowerPC.
That is a port by Nigel Pearson.

If you do not succeed, you could try the more stable version by Gwenole Beauchesne:
http://gwenole.beauchesne.info/en/projects/basilisk2

The latest builds (recommended) can be found in the sticky topics at the top of this forum:
http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5096

(This port has no interface for configuring the settings, that must be done with the separate BasiliskIIGUI application.)