moving system files to another drive...

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

emodel
Student Driver

moving system files to another drive...

Post by emodel »

I have system 6 / 7.01 / 7.1 / 7.5.5 / 8.1, pre-installed, some on a .DSK some on a HFV.

I would like to have all system on the same format, probably HFV, as ive heard its the "best" (native format)(?).
Also, my system 8.1 is on a 100mb hfv, but it only takes about 60mb, so i would like to resize (or move to a smaller) disk (i knwo ihave to leave some room left for the OS, so a 70mb hfv or so).

So, this is what ive done (as i havent found a tool to do that conversion/resize) :

-with hfvexplorer, i format many HFV drives of the required size.
-i just move the content of each system dsk or hfv
-change the boot disk for Basilisk

->Doesnt work; Basilisk doesnt boot (floppy on the middle of the screen)

any idea ,
thanks
The Balance Of Judgement
Apple Corer

HFV

Post by The Balance Of Judgement »

Basilisk II does not support multiple partitions on a Mac OS disk. This is because the Mac OS disk images are teated as virtual images not devices.

You can't have multiple system folders on a single partition or else Mac OS may not boot.

When you switch system folders from one hard disk image to another, you need to "bless" the new system folder by double-cliking it and opening it, then closing it making sure that the system folder has the correct icon on it.

If you have a spare SCSI disk you can enable in Basilisk you can have multiple partitions and multiple operating systems on a single disk.

Unless you are cramped for space I would leave your HFV file at 100MB since you will need space to add extra stuff etc. And if you use the internet in Basilisk, like Internet Explorer, it has to keep a cache of files you have looked at.
emodel
Student Driver

Post by emodel »

Thanks (again) for the replies :)

I was trying to move the system files with HFVexplorer and that didnt work.
But it works if i drag&drop the system files within basilisk...
MaxFrames

Hidden files

Post by MaxFrames »

I'm not sure the guy is trying to have all the operating systems on the same disk image. Rather, I think he's having trouble booting the emulator after dragging-and-dropping all the files from a disk image to a newly created one. Blessing the System folder is a good advice; I'd only add one hint: HFVExplorer by default doesn't show hidden files on hard disk images. Set it to display hidden files before you drag'n'drop.
Also, possibly some application will need to be reinstalled but the system should boot.

Good luck :wink:
emodel
Student Driver

Post by emodel »

It (seems to) work.
(i drag&droped inside Basilisk, not inside HFV).
It didnt work with HFV ( and yes, i had enabled "show hidden files").