BasiliskII MacOSX Universal build 18 July 2008 available

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

BasiliskII MacOSX Universal build 18 July 2008 available

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

New version build from sources July 17th. There should be further improvements with the external file system.

Get the new BasiliskII for Mac OS X here (828 KB):
http://www.xs4all.nl/~ronaldpr/basilisk ... 7_2008.zip

Other needed files, such as the GUI application and a keycodes file, are not included. Those can be found in the downloads from Gwenole Beauchesne's site:
http://gwenole.beauchesne.info/en/projects/basilisk2

Icon based on a 16th century picture of the mythological basilisk:
http://www.mythencyclopedia.com/Ar-Be/Basilisk.html
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Yes, that's yet another Basilisk, not the one I used. But it's great, isn't it...

Cat_7
Kipfi
Space Cadet

This is great

Post by Kipfi »

I just wanted to say I am very happy with this version of Basilisk, it runs great, is stable, and enables me to use some of my good old favorites like Hypercard.

Thanks for posting! :o
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

I just wanted to add my thanks for this build. It's very reliable and very fast under Leopard. Now, I only hope someone will create a good-looking pref-setting program to match the recent one created for SheepShaver.

Meanwhile, I'm very grateful for this excellent build.

One question: is there any way to force the finder windows to refresh themselves automatically? If I add a file to the "Unix" disk from OS X, I have to close and re-open the Unix window to see it in Basilisk. (This is with System 7.5.5.)

Thanks again!
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

One quick suggestion for any future build:

In the current build, the keyboard shortcuts on the BasiliskII menu do not work (at least not for me):

Cmd-Q does not quit
Cmd-H does not hide

(although, for some reason Cmd-Option-H does "hide others")

Thanks!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

The key commands are transferred to the emulated system and thus will not work on the BasiliskII application itself.

Command-Q does quit applications in the emulated machine.

Command-H and Option-Command-H do not exist for hiding applications in the MacOS versions that run in BasiliskII. Command-H is used for search features in some applications.

Option-Command-H does nothing on my machine with BasiliskII in front.

The keys should be removed from the menus. That is not something that can be done while building the application. Someone should make the appropriate changes in CVS. The same is true for SheepShaver.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Of course you are right about the keystrokes being sent to the application!! How could I have forgotten that? I *thought* Hide Others worked, but probably I made a mistake a clicked tbe menu instead of using the hotkey.

Yes, I hope the changes can be made in CVS.

In order close BasiliskII with a keystroke, I used a Quickeys shortcut; with BasiliskII active, I can press Cmd-Alt-Ctrl-Q and choose Quit BasiliskII from the menu, and then, after a second, Enter to respond to the ShutDown prompt in the emulator.

Thank you again!
Hagan
Space Cadet

Post by Hagan »

Thanks for this build (even if I really use the SheepShaver build you did too), too bad that this version seems to have a problem as option+click or command+click aren't send to the Mac OS by the emulator, that's weird. Ha well, nice build anyway.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Option-click works fine here. Command-click does indeed not work, but it does not work in earlier builds by Gwenole Beauchesne either. Must be something in the source. Nothing I can do about it, I only built from source.